Re: [P2PSIP] Design decisions

Isaias Martinez Yelmo <imyelmo@it.uc3m.es> Wed, 14 March 2007 14:30 UTC

From: Isaias Martinez Yelmo <imyelmo@it.uc3m.es>
To: p2psip@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Design decisions
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:30:19 +0100
Cc: Henry Sinnreich <hsinnrei@adobe.com>

Comments in line about this interesting dissertation. They are tagged with
imyelmo.

Isaias

On Miércoles, 7 de Marzo de 2007, Henry Sinnreich wrote:
> The good news is we have now four excellent contributions to the design
> of the peer protocol for P2P SIP. They are in no particular order (add
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ in front of the file name):
>
> "The Peer Protocol for P2PSIP Networks"
> <draft-hautakorpi-p2psip-peer-protocol-00.txt>

<imyelmo>
REGISTER or LOCSER ?
Two things to consider:
* It is correct to use register for the purposes of P2PSIP from the point of
view of standarization
* What option is easier to implement for developers? Probably, a new message
probably will be easier, but it is necessary to consider that it can not be
created a new messager per each problem that it is wanted to be solved.
</imyelmo>

> "Peer-to-Peer Protocol (P2PP)"
> <draft-baset-p2psip-p2pcommon-01>

<imyelmo>
I think this idea is quite good. A good designed protocol could support as
transport for maintaining different types of overlay networks. Furthermore,
it is a quite interesting approach if different P2PSIP domains want to be
interconnected because its structure will make things easier
</imyelmo>

> "dSIP: A P2P Approach to SIP Registration and Resource Location"
> <draft-bryan-p2psip-dsip-00>

<imyelmo>
The concepts of this draft are necessary to understand the useful features of
P2PSIP and how a p2p overlay can be supported using SIP and it is compatible
with the ideas presented in draft-baset-p2psip-p2pcommon-01
</imyelmo>

> "Data format and interface to an external peer-to-peer network for SIP
> location service"
> <draft-singh-p2p-sip-01>

<imyelmo>
What format should be adopted for the exchange information betwee peers,
clients??
* Plaint Text
* XML
* ...
</imyelmo>

> It is apparent that while these drafts contain valuable design items,
> the opinions also differ widely on such points as:
>
> - Using any of the 'native' p2p protocols,
> - Is SIP a good peer protocol?

<imyelmo>
The draft:
http://www.sipeerior.com/tmp/draft-zangrilli-p2psip-whysip-00.html
covers this question ??
</imyelmo>

> - The meaning of REGISTER and its replacement with LOCSER,

<imyelmo>
See above
</imyelmo>

> - Mechanisms for choosing any DHT peer protocol, examples,

<imyelmo>
draft-baset-p2psip-p2pcommon-01 ???
</imyelmo>

> - Other applications: Search, app layer multicast for conferences, etc.,
> - The data mode, the service mode, control of DHT routing for other
> apps,
> - Flexibility of the design,
> - For implementers: Is open source code available? What is the
> footprint?
>
> Besides reconciling the peer protocol design decisions, there are also
> serious performance considerations, such as (there are more):
>
> - What is the _measured_ success ration for NAT traversal using ICE?
> - What is the distribution of call setup time on the Internet?
> - What is the failure rate for peers that cannot see each other?
>   (non-transitivity)
> - Sensitivity to various churn rates such as wired vs. mobile
> - Security and trust models,...
>
> Since we don't have the luxury of an R&D budget, the most sensible
> approach is to use results from years of work on p2p. Hint: openDHT.org
> Show me the numbers for performance!
> Or just trusting the assertions of authors of I-Ds? Think of the cost.
> Just in case someone is tempted to try anyhow, please see:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-p2prg-survey-search-01.tx
>
> Proposal:
>
> 1. Use the above four contributions and the other P2P SIP I-Ds as well
> to edit a design document with options, recommendations, examples, etc.
> for the peer protocol for P2P SIP. This is the first key WG deliverable.

<imyelmo>
I agree, and it will be very useful for developers and also for developing
more advance features like interconnect different domains.
</imyelmo>

> 2. Last but not least: Open source code is the most dependable approach
> for a successful standard. The P2P SIP peer protocol MUST be backed up
> by open source code, free of patent claims.

<imyelmo>
I agree
</imyelmo>

Regards,

Isaias

> 3. Define the P2P SIP peer protocol based on both items 1. and 2.
> No less.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
> Henry Sinnreich