[P2PSIP] 答复: Comments on draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-00

wang.wei108@zte.com.cn Sun, 07 November 2010 07:42 UTC

To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
From: wang.wei108@zte.com.cn
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 15:40:44 +0800
Cc: p2psip@ietf.org
Subject: [P2PSIP] 答复: Comments on draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-00

Hi Eric,

  Our aim of introducing the SNMP usage is to allow existing Management
systems which use SNMP to work with RELOAD networks. It is not built in
the RELOAD protocol as in the diagnostic draft. It provides a way to add
management modules when network operators needs more management functions,

including trapping node failures, dynamically reconfiguring nodes, etc.

  For a RELOAD network using SNMP, there will be some operators who are
authorized to control the network, possibly same as the organizations who
deploy
the enrollment and configuration server. And there will be some manager
servers
deployed by the network operator. Ordinary nodes may have lightweight SNMP

agents on them to be managed by the operator. Management traffic should be
quite
small, and it helps the network work smoothly. So, users may be willing to
deploy
such management agents on their nodes.

Regards

Wang wei
ZTE

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
发件人:  p2psip-bounces@ietf.org
2010-11-07 05:29

收件人
p2psip@ietf.org
抄送

主题
[P2PSIP] Comments on draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-00

I've just read this document and I've got some comments/questions:

(1) I'm not sure I understand the relationship to the diagnostics draft.
They seem to
occupy much of the same space in terms of use cases.

(2) The general concept of this draft seems to be that there is a set of
devices/peers
which are allowed to be management devices in the SNMP sense. Given the
relatively unstructured nature of the p2p network I wonder how much people
will really be willing to serve signnificant amounts of management
information
to random controller nodes.

-Ekr