Re: [P2PSIP] Concepts document: proposalfor active/passive peerterminology

"Greger V. Teigre" <greger@teigre.com> Sun, 17 June 2007 08:47 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:47:05 +0200
From: "Greger V. Teigre" <greger@teigre.com>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Concepts document: proposalfor active/passive peerterminology

I have a use case I'm struggling to map onto the various terms, and I'm
also not sure where this working groups scope ends:
Let's say we have a regular 3261 SIP proxy. It wants to proxy requests
into a number of overlays. Let's assume that AORs are distributed
according to their domain (and AORs with the same domain name cannot be
registered in several overlays).

We can then implement the contact between the proxy's domain(s) and the
overlays in (at least) two ways:

a. Forward an INVITE into the overlay and wait for the result

b. Lookup the AOR in the overlay before proxying the INVITE and make
routing decision based on the response

a does not require any coding in existing SIP proxyies, while b requires
the SIP proxy to implement some sort of lookup mechanism into the
overlay(s), either by being a peer in each overlay or by contacting a
"proxy peer" (or is it "adapter peer"?) using some sort of data access
protocol.

If we add the possibility of AORs from the same domain being registered
in several overlays or if we want the proxy to route (or not) based on
presence, we really need to do b.

I certainly don't want the data access protocol aka client protocol to
be SIP, because I would then get a SIP message back that is really not
part of initial INVITE transaction (or if it does not have the same
transaction id, my proxy needs to be a UAC). The XML-RPC Get method
described in http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-singh-p2p-sip-01.txt seems
more promising. And btw, the alternative, requiring a SIP proxy to be a
peer in every overlay it wants to forward requests to sounds like the
best way to stop that kind of communication from being done. (a
side-note: from a SIP proxy implementation perspective, it is clearly a
preference not having to implement a special standalone local query node
that will registers as a peer and then offer a proprietary lookup
interface to the proxy)

Finally, if we assume some kind of meta-lookup across overlays, we may
be better off, but this is starting to feel a bit enum'ish to me...
g-)