RE: [P2PSIP] do we need a client protocol?

"HUANG Ping B" <Ping.b.Huang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn> Mon, 16 July 2007 02:52 UTC

Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] do we need a client protocol?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:48:22 +0800
From: HUANG Ping B <Ping.b.Huang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>
To: Zheng Hewen <hwzheng@huawei.com>, Michal Giermasinski <michal.giermasinski@gmail.com>, p2psip@ietf.org, marcin.matuszewski@nokia.com

hello Zheng
     "Our discussion focus is whether all peers in P2PSIP overlay must recognize SIP", I have never said(once again) P2PSIP overlay must recognize SIP, I just said Peers in P2PSIP overlay SHOULD recognize SIP. I have already read those drafts before you and Marcin suggested me to read them, any way, thanks your suggestions.
        in my opinion, P2PSIP is not equal to P2P. P2P is a big picture, but P2PSIP is a small one. I think, we SHOULD not put all peers that may be suit for P2P overlay into P2PSIP overlay.
        in your reply :"the true and only cause is that we try to provide a method to determine the correct destination for SIP requests...... this is the current and only relation between SIP and P2PSIP."
    I'm afraid that I can not agree with your opinions.in "draft-ietf-p2psip-concepts-00", the definition of "P2PSIP" is below:
P2PSIP:
A suite of communications protocols related to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) [RFC3261] (Rosenberg, J., Schulzrinne, H., Camarillo, G., Johnston, A., Peterson, J., Sparks, R., Handley, M., and E. Schooler, “SIP: Session Initiation Protocol,” June 2002.) <http://www.p2psip.org/drafts/draft-ietf-p2psip-concepts-00.html#RFC3261>  that enable SIP to use peer-to-peer techniques for resolving the targets of SIP requests, providing SIP message transport, and providing other SIP-related functions. The exact contents of this protocol suite are still under discussion, but is likely to include the P2PSIP Peer Protocol and may include a P2PSIP Client Protocol (see definitions below).

     if destination resolving is the only relationship between P2PSIP  and SIP, IMHO, P2PSIP SHALL not be called "P2PSIP".
    I think we should make several things clear:
   where, when and why P2PSIP is born? just noly because the P2PSIP can find destination for SIP request?