RE: [P2PSIP] HBH vs. E2E SIP in P2PSIP

JiangXingFeng <jiang.x.f@huawei.com> Tue, 17 July 2007 01:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:56:41 +0800
From: JiangXingFeng <jiang.x.f@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] HBH vs. E2E SIP in P2PSIP
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@cisco.com>, 'P2PSIP WG' <p2psip@ietf.org>

Hi, Jonathan:

My two cents...
Yes, E2E paradigm could avoid security issues arising from forwarding SIP
message among the peers in the overlay.
As for hop-by-hop paradigm, if we could make a overlay tunnel between two
peers and make sure that the destination peer for the overlay message, for
example, GET message, is the same as the peer where the callee hosts, then
the destination peer could use the upper layer application information
carried in the peer message to de-multiplex and distribute the applications
message encapsulated in the peer messages to the specific application
protocol entity, for example, SIP protocol stack.

The application messages could be protected by the message sender by making
use of various security mechanisms and intermediary peer will not process
the application message and only forward the messages according to the DHT
routing algorithms.
If used in this way, overlay will become a general platform to transport
various upper layer messages, for example, SIP message.

Obviously, peer protocol should support transporting application protocol
first and maybe need do some special work to make the application protocol
work as it is used in the Client/Server modes. For example, as for SIP, the
destination peer will check some headers and Request-URI to determine
whether it is a right message, so peer protocol may do some adaptation work
to make the destination does not care about how this message arrived at it.

I am not sure it could be done. Presenting here is for your comments?

Regards!

--
Jiang XingFeng