Re: [P2PSIP] BEHAVE recommends endpoint-dependent mapping, kills p2p-sip?

Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca> Wed, 18 April 2007 12:18 UTC

From: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] BEHAVE recommends endpoint-dependent mapping, kills p2p-sip?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:18:15 -0400
To: "Barrett, David" <dbarrett@akamai.com>
Cc: P2PSIP WG <p2psip@ietf.org>

I just want to second what Enrico and Bruce are saying: I believe we
can live with
NATs and Firewalls that have endpoint-dependent filtering.

The basics of the idea for how to deal with these are described in
three drafts
     draft-matthews-p2psip-bootstrap-mechanisms, and
     draft-matthews-p2psip-dsip-nat-traversal      (which Bruce
already mentioned)
     draft-matthews-p2psip-nats-and-overlays

The first draft describes how a node that wishes to join a peer-to-
peer overlay
can establish a connection to ONE peer in the overlay.
The second draft describes how the node can then leverage this
connection
to establish a partial mesh of connections to other peers, and then
use this
partial mesh to route messages through the overlay.
The third draft attempts to explain this idea and compare it with
other approaches
to NAT Traversal for peer-to-peer networks.

There is still more work to do flesh out all the details, but I
believe the drafts
adequately describe the core of the idea.

There was a hot debate in the BEHAVE group on the filtering issue.
However, the key fact is that there are many, many NATs today
that already implement endpoint-dependent filtering for "security"
reasons,
and it was felt that many manufacturers would just ignore the
recommendation
if the document said "NATs MUST have endpoint-independent filtering".

- Philip