Re: [P2PSIP] Broken Stop and Wait Algorithm?

"Bless, Roland (TM)" <roland.bless@kit.edu> Mon, 21 October 2013 08:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:24:19 +0200
From: "Bless, Roland (TM)" <roland.bless@kit.edu>
To: Michael Chen <michaelc@idssoftware.com>, P2PSIP WG <p2psip@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Broken Stop and Wait Algorithm?

Hi Michael,

Am 19.10.2013 00:43, schrieb Michael Chen:
> Your fragment re-assembler must tolerate duplicate fragments, because it
> is the nature of the UDP transport. By comparison, ACK is never repeated.

Thanks for clarification. I guessed that it's up to the upper layers
to deal with it, but IMHO this actually an unnecessary potential
additional source of duplicated fragments besides IP packet duplication
and if you don't care about duplicates you can even leave out sequence
numbers in the stop and wait protocol...

Detecting duplicated fragments may not always help:
If you have a single fragment only, you'll immediately pass it
up to the message transport for instance. So in this case you need
to check for duplicate transaction IDs or rely on the implementation
(sec. 6.2.1.):
   Receiving nodes MUST generate semantically equivalent
   determined by transaction ID) if the request is received within the
   maximum request lifetime (15 seconds).

> The sequence number must always incremented so that the receiver can
> build the FramedMessage.received bitmask for the last 32 fragments.

Yes, I read that part, so that you can estimate loss rates
or RTTs.