Re: [P2PSIP] Mandatory-to-implement DHTs - a dissenting opinion

"Eunsoo Shim" <eunsooshim@gmail.com> Sun, 15 July 2007 03:43 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:43:13 -0400
From: Eunsoo Shim <eunsooshim@gmail.com>
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Mandatory-to-implement DHTs - a dissenting opinion
Cc: P2PSIP WG <p2psip@ietf.org>

I agree that it should be the market that drives the choice of the DHT
algorithm eventually.

On the other hand, currently no specific DHT algorithm has been established
as a widely accepted one for P2PSIP overlays. So I am wondering what DHT
algorithms a manufacturer would implement if they implement P2PSIP nodes.
And if manufacturers choose all kinds of variations of various DHT
algorithms, it will give significant headache and limited choices of devices
to even large service providers, not to mention smaller ones and enterprises
who like to use multi-vendor solutions.

The SIP community did not have to recommend or choose any voice codec. Other
organizations developed various voice codec standards and there were widely
accepted voice codecs such as G.711. So it was not much of an issue what
voice codec should be implemented or selected for SIP devices. The situation
with DHT is different in my understanding. There are too many options and
one can easily try to tweak a known DHT algorithm.

I am not aware of any standardization body or industry organization that is
working to define any standard DHT.

I believe at least some kind of recommendation on DHT algorithms, if not a
mandatory implementation requirement, would help a lot.

If the P2PSIP community does not produce it for P2PSIP overlays, who would
do it?

Thanks.

Eunsoo