RE: [P2PSIP] Mandatory-to-implement DHTs - a dissenting opinion

"Roy, Radhika R." <RADHIKA.R.ROY@saic.com> Sun, 15 July 2007 04:01 UTC

Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] Mandatory-to-implement DHTs - a dissenting opinion
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:01:48 -0400
From: "Roy, Radhika R." <RADHIKA.R.ROY@saic.com>
To: Eunsoo Shim <eunsooshim@gmail.com>, Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Cc: P2PSIP WG <p2psip@ietf.org>

The example of G.711 codec is NOT exactly right here although some aspects of this are applicable in the DHT argument. A couple of things are as follows:

1.
	All codecs including G.711 use the same SIP signaling protocol
2.
	G.711 codec has been used as a reference for all other codecs for interoperability purpose. For example, if audio bridging with multiple different codecs are done, then all of them need to be converted into a single common format, and G.711 is used as a reference common format.

So, if we analyze items 1 and 2 very carefully, it again proves the fact, as David pointed out, we need one standard thing as a reference to start with as follows:

*	Only "one" reference standard for the signaling protocol (in this case it is SIP) to provide interoperability
*	Only "one" reference standard codec that will offer a reference standard format that will be used for inter-operability among different codecs

As such, what is the lesson from the above from standardization point of view when we apply those experiences in DHT standardization?

Is it not what David has pointed out?

Best regards,

Radhika