[P2PSIP] New draft: draft-matthews-p2psip-hip-hop-00

Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca> Sun, 17 June 2007 13:15 UTC

From: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:15:25 -0400
Subject: [P2PSIP] New draft: draft-matthews-p2psip-hip-hop-00

Folks:

Eric Cooper, Alan Johnston, and I have just written a draft that
suggests what we think
is an interesting direction for the P2PSIP working group.

We argue that a P2PSIP overlay should use HIP (the Host Identity
Protocol)
to provide a number of the basic features in an overlay, namely:
	o  Peer IDs;
	o  Transporting messages around the overlay;
	o  Signaling new overlay connections;
	o  Supporting mobility and multi-homing of peers;
	o  Providing message security.

One of the reasons we really like this idea is because, using the
approach
described in the draft, many existing applications don't require any
modifications
and "just work" in an overlay.

We describe this idea in a draft that has just been submitted.
Until the draft appears in the archives, you can get a copy at
	http://www.magma.ca/~philip_matthews/draft-willis-p2psip-
concepts-04.txt
or for the html version
	http://www.magma.ca/~philip_matthews/draft-willis-p2psip-
concepts-04.htm

Here is the abstract from the draft:
    This document examines a P2PSIP architecture where the peer-to-peer
    (P2P) layer is separate from and lies below the SIP layer.  We
    discuss the functions of the P2P layer in such an architecture, and
    focus in on the Distributed Transport function - the function that
    allows a peer to exchange messages with any other peer in the
    overlay, even in the presence of NATs.  We list the features that
the
    Distributed Transport function needs to provide, and observe that
the
    Host Identity Protocol (HIP) already provides a number of these
    features.  We then propose extensions to HIP that allow it to
provide
    the missing features.  We discuss how a complete P2PSIP architecture
    can be built around HIP, and contrast this approach with other
    approaches for implementing a P2P layer.  Two of the advantages of
    HIP approach are that (a) most existing applications can run in an
    overlay without needing any changes and (b) peer mobility and NAT
    traversal are handled in a way that is transparent to most
    applications.

- Philip