RE: [Pana] and network selection

Mohan Parthasarathy <mohanp@sbcglobal.net> Tue, 09 November 2004 18:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:23:20 -0800
From: Mohan Parthasarathy <mohanp@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: [Pana] and network selection
To: Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com>, 'Alper Yegin' <alper.yegin@samsung.com>, jari.arkko@piuha.net
Cc: 'Yoshihiro Ohba' <yohba@tai.toshiba.com>, Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com>, pana@ietf.org
Sender: pana-bounces@ietf.org

--- Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:

> Hi Alper,
>
> I personally agree that PANA should do network
> selection and that the EAP
> based network selection is only a stop gap.  That is
> why I really started
> this discussion.
>
> But if PANA is the way we ought to do network
> selection I think it is
> missing somethings.
>
> -Its not enough to select the next hop;
>
>   PaC---PAA/NAS---VAAA----B1AAA-----B2AAA----HAAA
>                             |                  |
>                             +-------B3AAA------+
>
> As the diagram shows, the user my prefer to go
> through B3AAA and not B2AAA.
>
> -It should present possible options by knowing the
> PaC.  Perhaps the PaC
> should send the identity in the Start-Request.  Then
> the PAA can respond
> with the appropriate ISP Information.
>
> In other words, why not duplicate the EAP network
> selection capability?

It may be nice to have that feature. But is that
sufficient ? Someone may want more than what EAP
network selection capability can provide. My
understanding is that EAP network selection only
allows to select the first hop that the visited
network has business agreement with. what if there are
multiple hops between the visited network and the home
network ? Does it make sense to select the whole path
instead of just the first hop ? I understand it is
more complex. I don't even know whether it makes sense
or not.

But, my point is that we should get more experience
with how EAP network selection will be used in
practice and then we can perhaps optimize PANA to
include it if it really proves useful.

2 cents
mohan