RE: [Pana] and network selection

Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com> Thu, 04 November 2004 19:19 UTC

From: Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com>
To: 'Yoshihiro Ohba' <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>, Avi Lior <avi@bridgewatersystems.com>
Subject: RE: [Pana] and network selection
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:06:52 -0500
Cc: 'Alper Yegin' <alper.yegin@samsung.com>, pana@ietf.org
Sender: pana-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Yoshihiro,

> Network selection based on EAP occurs always after completion
> of network selection in PANA in its discovery and handshake
> phase (this is guaranteed because section 5.12.1 of
> pana-pana-06 explcitly prohibits piggybacking EAP-Request in
> PANA-Start-Request messsage). This means that network
> selection based on EAP is only performed under the chosen ISP.

I am a bit confused here.  So let me ask you a few questions:

What is the purpose of ISP-Information?
How does the PAA know what ISP-Information to provide to the PaC?
If the PAA has a relationship with hunderds of ISPs does it send all the
ISPs?
How does the PaC select which ISP?

Note: the visited network may not have a direct relationship with the home
network
So it will send a list of intermediaries to the PaC.  The PaC may not be
able to select the intermediaries because it wouldn't necessarily know the
routing.  It knows its home network for sure but it may not know other
relationships.

When we do EAP based authentication in AAA we use the User-Name the NAI to
determine how to route the AAA requests to the Home Network.  How is this
invisioned to work when PANA and AAA work together.

When we do the authentication part, the AAA will use the NAI that was
provided by the device to route the authentication requests.  This may be
totally different then the ISP selected during the discovery phase.

So what is the purpose of doing ISP selection in the discovery phase?