Re: [PANRG] [irsg] IRSG review request draft-irtf-panrg-questions-07

"Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch> Wed, 23 December 2020 15:21 UTC

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 16:20:54 +0100
Cc: "draft-irtf-panrg-questions.authors@ietf.org" <draft-irtf-panrg-questions.authors@ietf.org>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, The IRSG <irsg@irtf.org>, "panrg@irtf.org" <panrg@irtf.org>
To: "Ciavaglia, Laurent (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" <laurent.ciavaglia@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [PANRG] [irsg] IRSG review request draft-irtf-panrg-questions-07

hi Laurent,

Many thanks for the thorough review and useful comments!

Instead of addressing each comment in this mail thread (copying out of annotated PDF seems toilsome, and I'm trying to get this done by the end of 2020 :) ), I'll summarize some comments and responses here, and post a new revision addressing them shortly.

Comments that fall into the class "what about path-aware-like-thing-that-presents-an-interface-to-network-operations-and-not-the-endpoints", which indicates that the scope of these questions might need to be tightened up: we're looking at generalized approaches for getting control into the hands of end users and application developers, not network admins. Indeed, ALTO is a good example of a (proto-)path-awareness approach, and I'll point to it more explicitly. But unless I'm missing something, PCE is router-to-router, not end-to-end.

Comments of the type "this is unclearly phrased" or "say more here" were... universally quite helpful. I agree with all of them, sometimes wholeheartedly in a "what was I thinking when I wrote this" way :). Have proposed a rewording in each case.

With respect to the management of information radiated by path-aware approaches (your comment on the header for Section 3 asking for a ninth question)... that's a really interesting question, but I think it's properly an aspect of the eighth question (though it will be essential as part of any answer to it); will add something here. I'll note that the space of path aware networking architectures (where the network presents choices to the endpoint for network treatment) is better in this aspect than proposals that send data in the opposite direction (e.g. PLUS), but the data's still there and still needs to be managed.

Many thanks, again! Expect an -08 shortly.

Cheers, (happy|merry) ${HOLIDAY}, and may 2021 be less interesting,

Brian