Re: [payload] WGLC on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-isac-02

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 03 January 2013 15:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:41:06 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: payload@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [payload] WGLC on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-isac-02

We'll get you an updated draft addressing these ASAP (but it's not the
most urgent thing, so it may take some days).

On 12/26/2012 01:42 PM, Roni Even wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I reviewed the draft and have some questions and comments
>
> 1.In section 2 there is a mention of target bit rate. It is not clear
> how is it calculated and what does average during peaks mean? How is
> this parameter related to the ibitrate parameter defined in the IANA
> section.
>
> 2.In section 2 "The available bandwidth is continuously estimated at
> the receiving iSAC and signaled in-band in the iSAC bit stream". How
> does it work?

I'm not sure that needs to be specified in the payload format document.
There are a number of things that are not specified; those who want that
information can go check out the source.

> 3.In section 3 second paragraph please discuss using dynamic payload
> type number maybe add "The assignment of an RTP payload type for the
> format defined in this  memo is outside the scope of this document.
> The RTP profiles in use  currently mandate binding the payload type
> dynamically for this  payload format."

Nice to be explicit. I thought this was what we assumed by default.

> 4.In section 3.2 what are the BEI and FL values  and how many bits
> each one uses.
>
> 5.In section 3.3 what is bandwidth probe, how does it work. Is it
> specified elsewhere, in which case provide a reference.
>
> 6.In section 3.3 "The user can choose to lower the maximum allowed
> payload length ". Who is the user(sender / receiver) and how is it done.
>
> 7.In section 3.4 how does a receiver know if he receives a wideband or
> super-wideband payload in order to decode correctly.
>
> 8.In section 3.5 "signaled inband". What is inband, any reference?
>
> 9.Looking at figure 6 I am not clear from the text how does the
> receiver know that there is padding and not payload?

The decoding process will decode until it's decoded all the samples it
wants. What follows is padding. Same process as section 3.3.

> 10.In section 4 change the beginning to "This RTP payload format is
> identified using the media type audio/isac, which is registered in
> accordance with [RFC4855 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4855>] and
> uses the  template of [RFC4288 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288>]."
>
> 11.Please verify that the registration follows the template. Currently
> the order is not correct and there are missing subscetions.

Will fix.

> 12.Since ibitrate and maxbitrate are optional parameters what are the
> default values if not specified. I saw 20000 for ibitrate for channel
> adaptive mode in section 2.

These are the requests from the recipient. In their absence, the sender
will send what the sender wants to send.

> 13.What are the units for ibitrate and maxbitrate

I've assumed bits per second, but I'll check.

> 14. In section 4 the change controller should be the payload working
> group.
>
> 15.In section 5 what is the clock rate in rtpmap.
>
> 16.Can you switch from wideband to super wideband without any
> signaling using the same payload type number. Can you use a 32000
> clock rate also for the wideband.

Section 3:

3.  RTP Payload Format

    The iSAC codec in wideband mode uses a sampling rate clock of 16 kHz,
    so the RTP timestamp MUST be in units of 1/16000 of a second.  In
    super-wideband mode, the iSAC codec uses a sampling rate clock of 32
    kHz, so the RTP timestamp MUST be in units of 1/32000 of a second.

Is this sufficient?

> 17.The document should have a congestion control section
> seehttp://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-payload-rtp-howto-02
>
> 18.The security section need to be expanded see for example section 10
> of RFC 5404.

OK.