Re: [payload] WGLC on draft-ietf-payload-melpe-02

"Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D." <victor.demjanenko@vocal.com> Fri, 19 August 2016 14:30 UTC

From: "Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D." <victor.demjanenko@vocal.com>
To: 'Roni Even' <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>, payload@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:30:13 -0400
Cc: draft-ietf-payload-melpe@ietf.org, "'Dave Satterlee (Vocal)'" <Dave.Satterlee@vocal.com>
Subject: Re: [payload] WGLC on draft-ietf-payload-melpe-02

To Payload Members:

We have addressed all of Roni's comments with the exception of item 2.
Comments on all other items are below in the original list.

they are.  Each of the three MELP speech coder rates were developed by
different groups.  The notation that each one used is similar but different.

1.      One group presented their bits in LSB to MSB order.  This was a
potential confusion that our draft cleared up with at least one party
implementing a MELP RTP payload.  (They did not notice the inconsistency
between speech coder rates until reading our draft.)

2.      The MS Word typesetting nomenclature used non-simple ASCII
parameter/field names/bit numbering which is addressed by the normalized
tables we present in these sections.

3.      Comfort noise is described in yet some other document (SCIP I
believe) and is only done verbally.

While we do understand the desire for removing unnecessary redundancy, we do
believe our normalized tables in 3.1 and 3.2 do help in ensuring an
interoperable implementation.  As such, they are not an exact copy of
reference tables and we recommend leaving these sections as we have written.

Regards,

Victor Demjanenko

David Satterlee