[Pce] Virtual Network Topology (VNT) changes and IP layer routing loops

Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com> Mon, 05 June 2006 16:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 09:17:24 -0700
From: Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com>
To: ccamp@ops.ietf.org, pce@ietf.org
Subject: [Pce] Virtual Network Topology (VNT) changes and IP layer routing loops

Hi folks, in drafts draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-reqs-00.txt and
draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-00.txt the concepts of multi-layer and
multi-region networking are defined and discussed.

An important case is when the IP layer rests directly upon a "virtual
network topology" layer that we will desire to change via GMPLS
signaling. Changes to the IP layer VNT can produce "transient IP layer
routing loops" also known as "micro loops" which can last 100's of mili
seconds or more.  Hence any time we change a connection between IP layer
routers via GMPLS we can cause significant outages compared to the
recovery times that we set out to achieve with GMPLS fast reroute and
other mechanisms such as SDH APS (rings and linear).

At the Routing working group, Alex's draft
draft-ietf-rtgwg-microloop-analysis-01.txt provides some analysis and a
method to reduce the impact (duration too) of the transient loops.  More
recently the drafts:
(1) draft-bryant-shand-lf-applicability-01.txt
(2) draft-bryant-shand-lf-conv-frmwk-02.txt
(3) draft-francois-ordered-fib-01.txt
Address this problem more generally including in (3) a method that
guarantee loop free convergence.

The problem is that these have generated very little interest at the RTG
WG and may not move forward.  This area is not within PCE or CCAMPs
charter but can have an impact on the adoption of GMPLS in
multi-layer/region networking. If you're interested please take a look
and comment to the RTG WG.  Note I wasn't involved with writing these,
but came across them when considering the effects of GMPLS changes on
the IP layer VNT.

Thanks

Greg B.