[Pce] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-pce-rfc6006bis-03: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com> Fri, 25 August 2017 16:50 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana <aretana@cisco.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-pce-rfc6006bis@ietf.org, Jonathan Hardwick <jonathan.hardwick@metaswitch.com>, pce-chairs@ietf.org, jonathan.hardwick@metaswitch.com, pce@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 09:50:21 -0700
Subject: [Pce] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-pce-rfc6006bis-03: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pce-rfc6006bis-03: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-rfc6006bis/

COMMENT:

I don't object the publication of this document.

However, I want to call attention to the latest IPR declaration [1] which seems
to have resulted in a very, very, very late claim against this document *and*
rfc6006.  Not only was the declaration done recently, but I don't think the WG
was explicitly made aware of it.  I did look at the archive and this is what I
found:

- WG Chair asked the authors to update the system to reflect that the IPR
claimed against rfc6006 also applies to this document [2]

- a new IPR statement [1] was filed, which updated the previous one [3]

The problem is that the most recent statement [1] points to a patent ("US
12/404100") which is different from the one in the original statement [3] ("US
12/708048").  I take this update to mean that there is more IP than originally
claimed -- resulting in a very, very, very late statement.  Note that it came
in after the WGLC concluded and just a couple of days before the document was
submitted to the IESG for Publication.

I'll let the WG chairs and the responsible AD take appropriate actions.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2983/
[2]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/pce/4rxUbSO16PU22ThiMHBf66M73yA/?qid=222caa9caf467838c3c40466e1de7e7e
[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1686/