[Pce] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 18 September 2019 14:15 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce@ietf.org, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, pce-chairs@ietf.org, adrian@olddog.co.uk, pce@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 07:15:21 -0700
Subject: [Pce] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce-13: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-stateful-hpce/

DISCUSS:

** Section 4.  Per “The security considerations listed in [RFC8231], [RFC6805]
and [RFC5440] apply to this document as well. As per [RFC6805], it is expected
that the parent PCE will require all child PCEs to use full security when
communicating with the parent.”, the references make sense, thanks for making
them.  My concern is in the definition of “use full security”.  I can see those
words come from RFC6805, however, I can't find where that set of practices is
defined.  Can this please be clarified.

COMMENT:

** Section 4.  Per the recommendation to use TLS _or_ TCP-AO.
-- I take the point from the SECDIR (thanks Stephen Farrell) about the (lack
of) deployment of AO.  My caution would be that TLS and TCP-AO provide
different security mechanism and therefore imbue different security properties
and this should be noted. (i.e., this isn’t a choice between like options)

-- As an editorial nit, it would be worth saying that guidance for implementing
using TLS with PCEP can be found in RFC8232.

** Editorial Nits:
Title.  Is the period at the end of the title necessary?