Re: [Pce] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-pce-hierarchy-extensions-07.txt

Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.dhody@huawei.com> Fri, 07 December 2018 04:30 UTC

From: Dhruv Dhody <dhruv.dhody@huawei.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, 'Dhruv Dhody' <dhruv.ietf@gmail.com>, 'Daniel King' <daniel@olddog.co.uk>
CC: "pce@ietf.org" <pce@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 04:29:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.78.179]
Subject: Re: [Pce] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-pce-hierarchy-extensions-07.txt

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your email, let me tackle a few....

Regards,
Dhruv

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] I agree with your suggested wording, it is much clearer.
> ---
>
> 3.1.1. is a lot better, thanks.
>
> You have...
>    The inclusion of this TLV in an OPEN object indicates that the H-PCE
>    extensions are supported by the PCEP speaker.  The child PCE MUST
>    include this TLV and set the P flag.  The parent PCE MUST include
>    this TLV and unset the P flag. The PCC MUST include this TLV to
>    indicate that it understands the H-PCE extensions with P flag unset.
>
> The first two sentences are good: the function allows two PCEs to work out
> the direction of the relationship between them.
>
> However, I don't understand the final sentence. Why would a PCC need to
> indicate that it understands the H-PCE extensions? Given that it:
> - cannot be a parent PCE because it is not a PCE
> - cannot be a child PCE because it is not a PCE ...why would it ever
> indicate that it supports the H-PCE extensions? Actually, why would it
> ever be implemented to support those extensions? Furthermore, by including
> the TLV but not setting the P flag, it gives the impression that it is
> willing to be a parent PCE.

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] We want the PCC and child PCE to include this TLV in case they would like to use this PCEP extension, which includes various new information that can be encoded in PCReq from PCC towards the child PCE such as - RP object changes (section 3.2) and new OF codes and inclusion of TLV (section 3.3) etc.

We would like this to be done on a PCEP session between PCC towards child PCE when we know that this child PCE understands the H-PCE extension as described in this document.

The setting of P flag (parent PCE request bit) means that the PCEP speaker wants the peer to be a parent PCE, so in the case of PCC_Child-PCE both parties do not set the bit.

Dan, maybe we should we spell this out more clearly?

> I would replace this with, "A PCE MUST NOT include this TLV."
>
> You also, nicely, have
>    If both peers attempt to set the P flag then the session
>    establishment MUST fail, and the PCEP speaker MUST respond with PCErr
>    message using Error-Type 1: "PCEP Session Establishment Failure" as
>    per [RFC5440].
> Which catches one half of the 'race' condition.
> I think you should add that, "If neither peer sets the P flag then the
> session establishment can proceed and the relationship between the PCEs
> continues as normal for cooperating PCEs."

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] Good suggestion.
> ---
>
> 3.1.1.1 is a bit week. You have two error conditions to handle:
>
> 1. What if the H-PCE-CAPABILITIES TLV is present in an Open Object and the
> receiver does not understand it?
> 2. What if H-PCE capabilities were not successfully negotiated, but some
> H-PCE feature is included in a later message?
>
> Both of these cases are certainly as you describe, but perhaps you need to
> be more explicit?
>
> Perhaps...
>
> OLD
>    If the PCE does not understand an H-PCE path computation request as
>    specified in this document, the PCE will ignore the H-PCE related
>    parameters, and behave as per [RFC5440].
> NEW
>    Section 7.1 of [RFC5440] requires that "Unrecognized TLVs MUST be
>    ignored."
>
>    That means that a PCE that does not support this document but that
>    receives an Open Message containing an Open Object that includes
>    an H-PCE-CAPABILITIES TLV will ignore that TLV and will continue to
>    attempt to establish a PCEP session. It will, however, not include the
>    TLV in the Open message that it sends, so the H-PCE relationship will
>    not be created.
>
>    If a PCE does not support the extensions defined in this document but
>    receives them in a PCEP message (notwithstanding the fact that the
>    session was not established as supporting a H-PCE relationship), the
>    receiving PCE will ignore the H-PCE related parameters because they
>    are all encoded in TLVs within standard PCEP objects.
> END

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] Thanks for the text, looks good!
> ---
>
> In 3.3.1 you fixed up MBN nicely so that I can understand it. Thanks.
>
> Except that you have made the description work well for IGP areas/levels
> and not so well for ASes. In other words, you cope well with the situation
> where the domain boundary is on the node, but not well when it is on the
> link.
> That is, to which domain does the inter-AS link belong? I should think
> that both ASes might consider it belongs to them and your algorithm might
> not count it at all. Alternatively, both might think it doesn't blong to
> them and you might count it twice.
>
> Aren't you actually trying to minimise domain transitions (which is
> different from MTD)? Wouldn't it be easier to say so? This especially
> since the Metric in 3.4 counts domains.
>
> I could re-draft the description of MBN in line with this if that would
> help, but I don't want to do that if I have misunderstood your objective
> to "minimise the number of domain transitions".
>
> BTW s/D(Lpi) if/D(Lpi) is/

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] I was assuming that when inter-domain link is encountered, it is NOT considered as part of the domain.

.....AS100-----X---ASBR1---ASBR2---Y----AS200.....

D(Lpi = X-ASBR1) = 1 (because X-ASBR1 and ASBR1-ASBR2 belong to different domains)
D(Lpi = ASBR1-ASBR2) = 1 (because ASBR1-ASBR2 and ASBR2-Y belong to different domains)

So in case inter-AS it is counted twice, it is domain transition from my PoV.

Could you think of a way to make this clearer?

> ---
>
> I can now parse 3.3.2 to answer my original questions ("How do you handle
> an H-PCE OF that conflicts with a regular OF?"), but I wish you had made
> it clearer.
>
> Probably no further action on this point, but I am grumbling 😊

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] :)
> ---
>
> Finally, I think it is a shame to drop the Implementation Status
> information from the draft at this stage (i.e., before the IESG can see
> it). But I don't insist it is added back.

[[[Dhruv Dhody]]] I put a note in the shepherd report, if that helps!