Re: [PCN] FW: New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

<toby.moncaster@bt.com> Fri, 21 August 2009 11:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:01:50 +0100
From: toby.moncaster@bt.com
To: rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk, philip.eardley@bt.com, pcn@ietf.org, lars.eggert@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

Thanks, I will add these to the other corrections/comments...

1 inline response

My response here is the same as my response to Phil's comment - this
document defines 11 as meaning PCN-marked. PCN-marked is defined as
having been marked as a result of a PCN-marking function - it doesn't
specify which sort of mark this is. In the context of the baseline
encoding, any experimental scheme also needs to ensure that 11 means
PCN-marked...

> == S.6. ==
> s/Standard IP-in-IP or IPsec tunnels/
>   /RFC3168 IP-in-IP or RFC4301 IPsec tunnels/
> == S.8. 1st para ==
>
> "  PCN-marking only carries a meaning within the confines of a PCN-
>     domain.  Packets wishing to be treated as belonging to a PCN-flow
>     must carry a PCN-compatible DSCP and a PCN-Enabled ECN codepoint.
>     This encoding document is intended to stand independently of the
>     architecture used to determine how specific packets are authorised
>     be PCN-marked, which will be described in separate documents on
> PCN-
>     boundary-node behaviour.
> "
> Delete the middle (2nd) sentence, which could be read as implying
> that packets arriving at the PCN ingress have to already carry a
> PCN-compatible DSCP and a PCN-Enabled ECN codepoint.
>
> == Repetitions that read OK, but may not have been intended ==
>
> 2nd sentence of S.4.1. repeats the last bullet of the preceding
> section (but they are both relevant in their respective sections).
>
> Opening sentences of A.1 repeat 3rd para of S.4.3.
>

> HTH
>

> Bob
>

> At 09:24 21/08/2009, toby.moncaster@bt.com wrote:
> >Hi Phil,
> >
> >Thanks for the comments. I will try and incorporate all of them into
> >the (hopefully) final version after the IETF LC ends in 2 weeks time.
> >
> >More inline

MUST
> > > treat this transition as valid; it MAY also raise an alarm.
> > > [Not sure " MAY also raise an alarm" is needed, since alarm
already
> > > raised since EXP(01) is the codepoint in]
> >
> >Or something about "In order not to block future extensions from
> >using these transitions..."? I will try and sort something out

> > > is 'higher layer' right? how about "management alarm"?
> >
> >Yep, by higher layer I meant control or management layer

> > >    packets it forwards out of the PCN-domain.  The only exception
> > >    this is if the PCN-egress-node is certain that revealing other
> > >    codepoints outside the PCN-domain won't contravene the guidance
> > > given
> > >    in [RFC4774].
> > > I wonder if this needs a bit more explanation about how to do
this,
> or
> > > where to find more guidance?
> >
> >Would an example count as guidance? "For example where the
> >PCN-egress-node has been explicitly informed by the PCN-ingress-node
> >that this flow is ECN-capable" In terms of where to find guidance,
> >currently only in experimental schemes (I think)
> >

> > > 4.3.1
> > > Co-existence of PCN and not-PCN traffic
> > > I wonder if it's worth adding pointer to S3.5 rfc5559 (or draft-
> ietf-
> > > pcn-marking-behaviour Section B.1) which says
> there
> > >       is such traffic, there needs to be a mechanism to limit it.
> > >       "Competing-non-PCN-traffic" means traffic that shares a link
> with
> > >       PCN-traffic and competes for its forwarding bandwidth.
> Hence,
> > >       more competing-non-PCN-traffic results in poorer QoS for
PCN.
> [...]
> >

> > > A.1
> > > The approach & wording is basically good.
> > >    appropriate DSCPs would currently be those for the Real Time
> Traffic
> > >    Class [RFC5127].  To be clear the PCN Working Group recommends
> using
> > >    admission control for the following service classes:
> > >
> > >    o  Telephony (EF)
> > >
> > >    o  Real-time interactive (CS4)
> > >
> > >    o  Broadcast Video (CS3)
> > >
> > >    o  Multimedia Conferencing (AF4)
> > >
> > > I think "sufficient aggregation" would be better than "uniformly
> high
> > > link rates" [similarly, "sufficiently" not "highly" in the next
> para]
> >
> >Yep
> >
> > > " Real Time Traffic Class" - 5127 calls it Treatment Aggregate, at
> > > least in Fig 2
> > > you might want to say why CS5 is excluded from pcn (all the other
> dscps
> > > in the RT treatement aggregate are included]
> > > rfc4594 needed as a ref somewhere here as that defines these dscps
> >
> >Will just put "CS5 is excluded since PCN is not expected to be
> >applied to signalling traffic". However that does raise an
> >interesting question with regards to Michael's proposed approach of
> >using admission marking on RSVP PATH messages in PSDM as I would
> >count those as signalling traffic?
> >

> > > Typos etc
> > > Abstract
> > > delete 'to be'
> >
> >OK
> >

> > > 4.0 >implementiors
> >
> >Already spotted...
> >

> > > 4.2
> > >    were considered before choosing to set 10
> > > could have a new paragraph before this
> > >
> >OK
> >
> > > 4.3.0
> > >    should be seen as being essentially a marking behaviour similar
> > >    ECN but intended for inelastic traffic.
> > > Re-phrase : Thirdly PCN is not a scheduling behaviour -- rather it
> > > should be seen as being essentially a marking behaviour similar to
> ECN
> > > but intended for inelastic traffic.
> > >
> >OK
> >
> > > 6
> > > 'upon' better?
> > >
> >Will decide
> >
> > > 6
> > >    operator wishes to allow ECN to exist end-to-end they must
> ensure
> > >    there are no tunnel end-points within the PCN-domain to prevent
> any
> > >    risk of PCN-markings being exposed to endpoints.
> > > Earlier in the paragraph you talk about a tunnel across the pcn-
> domain
> > > - then there might be another tunnel wholly within the pcn-domain,
> and
> > > this would be ok. (I know what you mean - perhaps slight re-
> ordering of
> > > the para would do the trick)
> >Will have a think about whether I can word this any better...

Centre,