Re: [PCN] FW: New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Thu, 20 August 2009 16:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:37:00 +0100
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: toby.moncaster@bt.com, pcn@ietf.org, lars.eggert@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

Few minor comments:

Table 1 has
>EXP(01)*
>Valid* [in IN EXP(01) OUT PM(11) box]
> * This SHOULD cause an alarm to be raised at a higher layer. The
       packet MUST be treated as if it carried the NM codepoint.

I think your comment ["*This SHOULD.."] really only applies to the "EXP(01)*" - ie if the codepoint in is EXP(01) then raise an alarm as this shouldn't happen.

Both the "Valid" boxes in this row could have a comment:
** these transitions MAY be allowed be some future experimental extensions to the baseline encoding. However a PCN-node that hasn't be upgraded (ie is still doing baseline) mustn't block this so it MUST treat this transition as valid; it MAY also raise an alarm.
[Not sure " MAY also raise an alarm" is needed, since alarm already raised since EXP(01) is the codepoint in]

> alarm to be raised at a higher layer
is 'higher layer' right? how about "management alarm"?

> A PCN-egress-node SHOULD set the not-PCN (00) codepoint on all
   packets it forwards out of the PCN-domain.  The only exception to
   this is if the PCN-egress-node is certain that revealing other
   codepoints outside the PCN-domain won't contravene the guidance given
   in [RFC4774].
I wonder if this needs a bit more explanation about how to do this, or where to find more guidance?

4.3.1
Co-existence of PCN and not-PCN traffic
I wonder if it's worth adding pointer to S3.5 rfc5559 (or draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour Section B.1) which says
>> It is not advised to have competing-non-PCN-traffic but, if there
      is such traffic, there needs to be a mechanism to limit it.
      "Competing-non-PCN-traffic" means traffic that shares a link with
      PCN-traffic and competes for its forwarding bandwidth.  Hence,
      more competing-non-PCN-traffic results in poorer QoS for PCN.
      Further, the unpredictable amount of competing-non-PCN-traffic
      makes the PCN mechanisms less accurate and so reduces PCN's
      ability to protect the QoS of admitted PCN-flows.

5
> The 11 codepoint in the ECN field MUST indicate PCN-marked (though
      this does not exclude the 01 Experimental codepoint from carrying
      the same meaning).
I think better would be " Experimental codepoint from also indicating PCN-marking" [it would indicate a 2nd level of pcn-marking, which you could say is not the "same" meaning]

A.1
The approach & wording is basically good.
>In PCN-domains with uniformly high link rates, the
   appropriate DSCPs would currently be those for the Real Time Traffic
   Class [RFC5127].  To be clear the PCN Working Group recommends using
   admission control for the following service classes:

   o  Telephony (EF)

   o  Real-time interactive (CS4)

   o  Broadcast Video (CS3)

   o  Multimedia Conferencing (AF4)

I think "sufficient aggregation" would be better than "uniformly high link rates" [similarly, "sufficiently" not "highly" in the next para]
" Real Time Traffic Class" - 5127 calls it Treatment Aggregate, at least in Fig 2
you might want to say why CS5 is excluded from pcn (all the other dscps in the RT treatement aggregate are included]
rfc4594 needed as a ref somewhere here as that defines these dscps

Typos etc
Abstract
>This document specifies how such marks are to be encoded
delete 'to be'

4.0 >implementiors

4.2
> There are a number of factors that
   were considered before choosing to set 10
could have a new paragraph before this

4.3.0
> Thirdly PCN
   should be seen as being essentially a marking behaviour similar to
   ECN but intended for inelastic traffic.
Re-phrase : Thirdly PCN is not a scheduling behaviour -- rather it should be seen as being essentially a marking behaviour similar to ECN but intended for inelastic traffic.

6
> in decapsulation
'upon' better?

6
> If an
   operator wishes to allow ECN to exist end-to-end they must ensure
   there are no tunnel end-points within the PCN-domain to prevent any
   risk of PCN-markings being exposed to endpoints.
Earlier in the paragraph you talk about a tunnel across the pcn-domain - then there might be another tunnel wholly within the pcn-domain, and this would be ok. (I know what you mean - perhaps slight re-ordering of the para would do the trick)

A.1
>PCn region
PCN-domain

Thanks