Re: [PCN] Signalling protocols for CL and SM modes

"Georgios Karagiannis" <karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Sat, 25 June 2011 20:52 UTC

To: Tom Taylor <tom111.taylor@bell.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:52:47 +0000
From: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
Bounce-To: "Georgios Karagiannis" <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
Cc: pcn <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PCN] Signalling protocols for CL and SM modes

Hi Tom,

>What are the RSVP messages corresponding to REPORT and REQUEST-REPORT?

The REPORT message can be provided by the RESV message.

Regarding the features that a REQUEST-REPORT should support see below:

>>>   -- possibly as part of a start-up sequence. Assuming that the decision
>>> point knows the address of the PCN-egress-node, this message could push
>>> the address of the decision point to the PCN-egress-node, avoiding the
>>> need to configure it there.

This is supported by RSVP, using the PATH message in combination with the
Previous HOP object carried by a PATH message.

>>>   -- possibly as part of a recovery attempt if the failure timer
>>> T-rcvFail expires;

This is supported by RSVP using the PATH message in combination with soft
state principle of RSVP.

>>>   -- possibly as part of a manual debugging procedure.

I am not sure if this feature is necesary to be supported by such a
protocol. I think that this procedure can be supported by network
management protocols.

Best regards,
Goergios