Re: [PCN] Signalling protocols for CL and SM modes

Tom Taylor <tom111.taylor@bell.net> Mon, 27 June 2011 13:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:55:49 -0400
From: Tom Taylor <tom111.taylor@bell.net>
To: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
Cc: pcn <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PCN] Signalling protocols for CL and SM modes

Not being terribly familiar with RSVP, I started my education with
RFC2205. It seems to me that if the basic semantics of RSVP are to be
respected, the initial message at start-up is a RESV coming from the
egress node. That's not how I pictured it, but it might work.

So what we get is a stream of RESV messages from the egress node. A
return PATH message is an exceptional occurence -- basically an error
condition in our application.

Does RSVP give us the freedom to put the information we need to pass in
the RESV message, and what mandatory fields do we have to fake to
respect the requirements of the protocol?

My studies continue.

Tom