Re: [PCN] RSVP and ECMP

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 25 October 2007 14:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:00:15 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "Anna Charny (acharny)" <acharny@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [PCN] RSVP and ECMP
Cc: pcn@ietf.org

Hi Anna,

Anna Charny (acharny) wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>

>> The problems obviously show up if the load balancing device
>> does not inspect the RSVP traffic.
>> Then, you cannot ensure that the signaling traffic follows
>> the data traffic anymore.
>>

> Sorry, I did not quite understand your point.  Wouldn't a packet
> carrying RSVP message be processes just like any other packet in the
> node which is not RSVP-capable?

Theoretically yes. It just depends on the behavior of the box. The RSVP
packet is, however, not a data packet.
It looks different.

>  So all that matters for the discussion
> on using RSVP message as a probe is whether that packet goes the same
> way as the corresponding data packets of the same flow under ecpm
> decisions?
Correct, and the question is: Is it possible that data traffic travels
along a different path than the signaling traffic.
The answer is "yes" (unless you have control over the box making the
decisions).

>  Am I missing the point you are making?

Ciao
Hannes