Re: [PCN] regarding lc-pcn features and consensus

"Georgios Karagiannis" <karagian@cs.utwente.nl> Tue, 26 August 2008 14:39 UTC

From: Georgios Karagiannis <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>
To: philip.eardley@bt.com, heinmekkes@gmail.com, pcn@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:34:29 +0200
Subject: Re: [PCN] regarding lc-pcn features and consensus
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Phil

Please note that the achieved consensus in IETF Dublin was not refering to
the EMFT solution.
Thus I do not understand what you mean here!

As mentioned the LC-PCN solution is used in the experiments.

N works in the following way.

At the interior:
The SM excess rate marking solution is used with the difference that:
* the variable N is used: the marked excess rate is equal to (measured
excess rate)/N
  In SM, N = 1. Note that if the excess rate is higher than the capacity of
the link and N = 1
  then the the marked excess rate that will be sent towards the egress
  cannot represent the measured excess rate, since in this case the measured
excess rate
  is higher than the capacity of the link. A marked excess rate higher than
the capacity of the link cannot travel up to
  the egress. This is the problem that has been shown in the simulatiuon
experiments.
  This problem is solved by the using the equation: (marked excess rate) =
(measured excess rate)/N

* Affected Marking encoding is used to provide ECMP support

At the egress:
The LC-PCN solution is used, where the bandwidth to be terminated is
calculated by:
Bandidth to be terminated = marked rate * N. This is needed to balance the
marked excess rate
equation used at the interior node.

When N is chosen properly then the total excess rate value can be propagated
to the egress immediately,
since (marked excess rate) =  (measured excess rate)/N  and the total value
of the marked excess rate is not
higher than the capacity of the link.
Therefore, the recovery time in this case is faster than
the situation where N = 1.

Best regards,
Georgios

{ { > { > > > constant that is { equal or {