Re: [pcp] Is it the right place to document something for PCP in mobile network

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 28 March 2012 07:27 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: GangChen <phdgang@gmail.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:27:51 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Subject: Re: [pcp] Is it the right place to document something for PCP in mobile network

Hi Gang, all,

I do personally think it is valuable to have this document as Informational.

As mentioned by Gang, we have tried in the past to initiate a study item within 3GPP but this was not successful because there is (surprisingly) no function to be controlled by PCP (!!!)

Since we are aware there are plenty functions (e.g., NAT) which may benefit from the help of PCP to achieve goals such as better application experience, better battery utilization, etc, a document dealing with some of mobile considerations is needed.

Having a document covering PCP-related considerations in mobile networks would provide a pointer for operators to be included in their UE profile requirements. Of course, the document need restrict the scope to major issues (e.g., PCP Server Discovery).

Cheers,
Med