[pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 31 January 2013 13:00 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:00:31 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Subject: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp

Dear all,

As agreed in the last IETF meeting, I contacted Ted in Atlanta to check with him what is the recommended approach to encode multiple strings included in the same dhcp option. As a reminder, -05 assumes a space character is used as separator. Ted prefers the use of length-encoded string. I updated the text accordingly. I also updated the text to recall the consensus of the wg and explain why RFC1035-encoding was abandoned in favor of UTF-8 string encoding (the main reason is to not restrict it to DNS as other resolution libraries can be supported). The new revised text includes also changes to resolve the comments received in the WGLC.

Even if -06 is ready for submission, I preferred to not submit it before checking with the WG how to resolve an issue raised by Ted. Ted (as a chair of dhc) thinks the use of UTF-8 string encoding is a bad design because it is difficult to validate the option. I already answered to that objection as DNS itself does not put any restriction on labels except a label must not be more than 63 characters. That's my personal opinion but as an editor of the document, I need more input for the WG on how to proceed given the comment raised from Ted:

(1) maintain the current design which is aligned with the wg consensus

(2) roll-back to the RFC1035-encoding we had in -00, -01, 02-  and -03 rev of the draft and explain what to do for trailing dot when an IP address literal is included.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Med