Re: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-01

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 12 February 2013 16:19 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:19:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-01

Med: Why is this specific to PCP Proxy case? In this leg, the PCP Proxy is acting as a PCP Client. Security considerations discussed in the base spec apply here.

>> >[3] Section 5 : Replace REMOTE_PEER_FILTER with FILTER option
>>
>> Med: Fixed. Thanks.
>>

>> >[4] Section 8 MAP/PEER handling : you may also want to clarify
>> >PCP proxy behavior when PCP client uses THIRD_PARTY option.
>>
>> Med: I updated the text to explicitly require the PCP server
>follows the pcp
>> server recommendations detailed in section 13.1 of
>draft-ietf-pcp-base.
>>

>> >[5] Section 10.1 Multiple PCP servers : There could be another
>> >scenarios that PCP proxy would forward the PCP request to one
>> >of the PCP servers depending on the fields set in PCP request
>> >(for specific use cases please refer to
>> >http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rpcw-pcp-pmipv6-serv-discovery
>> >-00 ,
>> >http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-pcp-mobile-deployment-02#
>> >section-8)]
>> >

>> Med: what change you want to see in that section? Thanks.
>
>The PCP proxy based on various fields set in the PCP request,
>client identity will forward the PCP request to different PCP
>servers. For example in the case of PMIPv6 based on the UE
>subscription traffic offload rules will be installed on the
>MAG. MAG acting as PCP proxy can either handle the PCP request
>in the local access network itself or relay the PCP request to
>the PCP server in the home network. I guess similar mechanism
>would be needed in 3GPP network with SIPTO.

Med: I added this sentence:

"The PCP Proxy MAY rely on some fields (e.g., Zone ID [I-D.penno-pcp-zones] in the PCP request to redirect the request to a given PCP Server."

>> >[6] How is it ensured that only the PCP proxy can communicate
>> >with the PCP server and not any other PCP client ?
>>
>> Med: Should this be part of the PCP Proxy spec ?
>
>This can be solved by simple techniques like ACL to block PCP
>client from communicating directly with the PCP server. You
>can mention it in security considerations.

Med: I added this sentence to the security section:

"The device embedding the PCP Proxy MAY block PCP requests directly sent to the PCP Server. This control can be enforced using access control list."