Re: [pcp] I-D Action: draft-vinapamula-flow-ha-03.txt

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 18 September 2014 06:27 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>, "cheshire@apple.com" <cheshire@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:27:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Subject: Re: [pcp] I-D Action: draft-vinapamula-flow-ha-03.txt

Hi Tiru,

There are two approaches to address this issue:
(1) consider a unified priority level: that is all flows associated with the option in the draft should be "processed" equally.
(2) add another level of granularity among flows that are associated with the option in this draft.

The current version of the I-D argues that adding another level of granularity to signal a priority level (i.e., approach (2)) may not be that helpful because applications will be tempted to systematically set the priority level to the highest value in order to increase the chance to have the corresponding flow check-pointed/protected.

Wouldn't (1) be sufficient to address the case you mentioned in your message?

BTW, do you think the draft should be updated to call out explicitly the case you are mentioning (use of the CHECKPOINT option as a trigger to other traffic management blocks than the HA module)?

Thank you.
Cheers,
Med