Re: [pcp] OpCopdes (RE: draft-wing-pcp-base-01 posted)

Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net> Thu, 28 October 2010 10:16 UTC

From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: "mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange-ftgroup.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 06:18:01 -0400
user-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/13.6.0.100712
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [pcp] OpCopdes (RE: draft-wing-pcp-base-01 posted)

Hi,

I talked to Dan today and I believe we came to an agreement on the 'problem
statement'. Unfortunately what you/we propose below also does not solve the
problem.

It is a very practical problem and already described in detail:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-troan-multihoming-without-nat66-01
(specifically in section 7.1) and
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuarsingh-lsn-deployment-00. But imagine
both combined, more NAT modes and other CPE/Hosts being served.

These features and deployments are the norm in actual ISPs and PCP will
hopefully play along along and prove useful.

As a *simple example* let's say an IPv6-only host and a ING (Integrated NAT
Gateway) that does NAT66, NAT64 and FW66. Let's suppose the host traffic
will _never_ traverse the NAT64 or NAT66. If the PCP Client asks for the
capability, it would get NAT64/NAT66/FW66 in the list and consequently
requests 3 mappings. This brings some interesting questions that I tried
articulating earlier:

* How can a client determine that 2 out of 3 mappings are not really needed?
It is a function of actual traffic and not all the NAT modes in the ING.
Scalability (permanent storage), performance (lookups) will be adversely
impacted.

* Should the client keep trying until it gets the same port from all three
different NAT types? Referral of objects (in this case ports) plays a role
here. The Application needs to decide which external port to advertise to
another host.

* If the Application Server can be reached through FW66 and NAT64 but their
semantics are different, say: anybody coming through FW66 can reach me in
port X, but if you are coming through the NAT64 I need an EIF (Endpoint
Independent Filter) attached to the mapping and the external port will be
different. Much like 'zones' (or a similar concept) in ING today.

Thanks,

Reinaldo