Re: [pcp] WG status on PCP authentication

Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp> Fri, 14 September 2012 06:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:51:31 +0900
From: Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp>
To: pcp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pcp] WG status on PCP authentication

Last month I posted a rough comparison on the two PANA approaches to
the PCP ML.  I would like to update the comparison after working in
detail on the demultiplexing approach as follows:

Encapsulation/tunneling approach:
- Pros: ???
- Cons:
 -- Encapsulation overhead
 -- Tight coupling of PCP and PANA is needed.  One issue is that some
workaround is needed to carry a PCI (PANA-Client-Initiation) message
which does not fit PCP's request-response type messaging.
Another issue is that double integrity protection can happen after
establishing a PCP SA, where a PANA message carried in the PCP message
is protected by a PANA AUTH AVP and the PCP message itself is
protected by a PCP Authentication Tag.  Double integrity protection
can be considered as overhead.

Demultiplexing/port-sharing approach:
- Pros:
 -- No encapsulation overhead