Re: [pcp] WGLC on draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp-03

Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com> Fri, 27 July 2012 19:06 UTC

From: Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>
To: "Bernie Volz (volz)" <volz@cisco.com>, "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:06:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.90]
Cc: "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pcp] WGLC on draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp-03

(draft-iab-identifier-comparison isn't relevant to that particular question.)
The WG goal was to be able to configure a set of strings that can be passed to
an API such as getaddrinfo() where the string can be either an IP literal or a
domain name.   I take your point as saying that using the encoding defined
in RFC 1035 section 3.1 isn't sufficient without an additional statement
that the trailing dot should be removed.   The only other alternative
I see would be to not use that encoding but define some other encoding.

> When reviewing this and commenting the other day, I originally had thought
> about commenting on the rather strict rules as to how the results of DNS
> queries could be used and was thinking that it might be appropriate to relax
> them some. Just doing normal DNS lookups and using the results (AAAA if v6 is
> available, A if v4 is available, etc.) would likely make implementing this much
> easier and require less specialized code.

Right.   I think the goal should be to minimize the amount of processing the
client has to do with the option contents... just pass it to getaddrinfo() or
equivalent was what the WG had discussed.

> > 6) Section 5.2 says:
> >       "The DHCPv4 client MUST verify that the
> >      option length does not exceed 255 octets [RFC1035])."
>
> Good catch. This should be removed as we have the ability to support long v4
> options - see RFC 3396.
>
> Note that per section 4 of this RFC:
>
>    Let us divide all DHCP options into two categories - those that, by
>    definition, require implementation of the mechanisms defined in this
>    document, and those that do not.  We will refer to the former as
>    concatenation-requiring options, and the latter as non-
>    concatenation-requiring options.  In order for an option to be a
>    concatenation-requiring option, the protocol specification that
>    defines that option must require implementation of option splitting
>    and option concatenation as described in this document, by
>    specifically referencing this document.
>
> So the draft should reference RFC 3396 and indicate that this is a
> concatenation-requiring option.

Agree.

-Dave