Re: [Pearg] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-history-09: (with COMMENT)

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Fri, 17 June 2022 02:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 23:37:11 -0300
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencerdawkins.ietf@gmail.com>, The IRSG <irsg@irtf.org>
Cc: draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-history@ietf.org, pearg-chairs@ietf.org, pearg@irtf.org, sara@sinodun.com
From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Subject: Re: [Pearg] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on draft-irtf-pearg-numeric-ids-history-09: (with COMMENT)

Hi, Spencer,

Thanks so much for your comments and input! -- In-line...

On 16/6/22 19:33, Spencer Dawkins via Datatracker wrote:
[....]
> COMMENT:
>
> At a 10K meter level, I love everything about this document. I remember
> probably 60-70 percent of this history, some of which I was reading about
> before I started participating in the IETF in 1997, I learned from the parts I
> didn't remember and had probably never seen, and there's no way I could have
> described all of it as well as you did.
>
> I wish we had more documents explaining why the IRTF is doing research on
> aspects of widely deployed protocols.
>
> I do have two or three nits about readability and consistency, but I'm already
> a Yes, so Do The Right Thing - I can't say "it's ready" any more clearly than
> balloting "Yes".
>
> - Honest question here. In this text from the Introduction,
>
> “For more than 30 years, a large number of implementations of the TCP/IP
> protocol suite have been subject to a variety of attacks, with effects ranging
> from Denial of Service (DoS) or data injection, to information leakages that
> could be exploited for pervasive monitoring [RFC7258]. The root cause of these
> issues has been, in many cases, poor selection of transient numeric
> identifiers, usually as a result of insufficient or misleading specifications.”
>
> Does “TCP/IP protocol suite” mean what you intend it to mean?

Well, we used the term as it has been used in classical books such as
"TCP/IP Illustrated" (Stevens)  or "Internetworking with TCP/IP"
(Comer). It has also been used by Bellovin in “Security Problems in the
TCP/IP Protocol Suite”
(https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/acsac-ipext.pdf)
  -- but it's also possible that it could mean different things to
different people.

But we could also probably s/TCP\/IP protocol suite/Internet protocols/
or s/TCP\/IP protocol suite/IETF protocols/ or s/TCP\/IP protocol
suite/Internet protocol suite/

I'm fine in all cases :-)

> You follow this with a list of examples that (if I understand correctly)
> include IPv4, IPv6, “transport protocols”, TCP, and DNS. Just poking at one of
> the references, The Introduction of RFC 6056 calls out
>
>     TCP [RFC0793], UDP [RFC0768], SCTP [RFC4960], DCCP
>     [RFC4340], UDP-lite [RFC3828], and RTP [RFC3550] (provided the RTP
>     application explicitly signals the RTP and RTCP port numbers with,
>     e.g., [RFC3605]).
>
> Perhaps those protocols should be part of what I think of when I hear “TCP/IP
> protocol suite”, but they aren’t.
>
> - I might have suggested “implementations of Internet network-layer and
> transport-layer protocols”, but even that doesn’t include DNS, which is on your
> list. And a quick peek at Section 4.4 mentions problems with NTP Reference IDs
> (REFIDs), which is NOT mentioned in the Introduction, but is described later in
> the document, while problems with DNS TxIDs, which is mentioned in the
> Introduction, is NOT described in Section 4 (the detailed discussion of DNS in
> Section 4 is about predictable port numbers used by DNS implementations). Maybe
> the transient numeric identifier problems with those two application-level
> protocols could be treated consistently in Section 1 and Section 4?

You mean mention all examples in all places/sections?

> - In Section 4,the phrase “A number of protocol specifications” is used. Is
> that a better way to say what you mean in Section 1 and Section 5? Or is there
> a better way to describe the protocols you’re thinking of in the Introduction,
> without attempting to list them exhaustively?

Please see my proposal above.

> - I should also mention that Section 5 also uses the phrase “large number of
> implementations of the TCP/ IP protocol suite”. Whatever you do with this
> phrase in Section 1, you should probably consider doing in Section 5 as well.

Agreed.

> - I also have a point of confusion with the phrase “sample transient numeric
> identifiers” in Section 1, and in Section 4. "sample" seems like an adjective
> in those usages. I THINK (correct me if I’m wrong) that this phrase is intended
> to mean “some transient numeric identifiers that have been found to be
> problematic” - because this isn’t a complete list of the problematic
> identifiers, right?

Exactly! ("English as a second language" might be playing a role here :-) )

Any suggested tweaks here?

Thanks!

Regards,
--