Re: Who is retarding Pem standards?

shirey@mitre.org Mon, 09 November 1992 19:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1992 14:28:13 -0500
To: Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com>
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: shirey@mitre.org
Subject: Re: Who is retarding Pem standards?
Cc: pem-dev@tis.com, iesg@nri.reston.va.us

I really hate to sound like Bernstein, but I'm beginning to understand why
he got so angry.  Your message is a marvel of evasion.  You did not answer
the question.  Furthermore, "multiple suites" has never been discussed
(except for saying that we would include a Government suite if there ever
was one), is NOT a "minor issue", and is unacceptable if you plan to sneak
in a proprietary suite.  Even if you have another suite to add, it can be
added later, just like a Government suite.

Please take another crack at a reply.  Either state the technical issue for
public discussion (including specifying the additional suite of algorithms
that you propose), or pass the documents to the IESG *NOW* (with or without
your concurrence).  You have no right to keep everyone in the dark and
bottle this up for your own profit.

At 10:00 AM 11/9/92 -0500, Stephen D Crocker wrote:

>My fault at the moment.
>Until recently I was waiting for Steve Kent to declare them done and
>he was waiting for me to process them.  Some minor issue to be
>resolved with respect to multiple suites in RFC1115bis; otherwise the
>main problem is my time.
>
>Steve

Crocker's message was in reply to the following: