[Perc] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet-09: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> Sun, 17 February 2019 00:41 UTC

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: perc-chairs@ietf.org, Suhas Nandakumar <suhasietf@gmail.com>, suhasietf@gmail.com, perc@ietf.org, draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 16:41:21 -0800
Subject: [Perc] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet-09: (with COMMENT)

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-perc-srtp-ekt-diet/

COMMENT:

Rich version of this review at:
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D3741

IMPORTANT
S 4.4.1.
>      FullEKTField is retransmitted 3 times, that only counts as 1
>      encryption.
>
>      Security requirements for EKT ciphers are discussed in Section 6.
>
>   4.4.1.  Ciphers

How do I know which cipher is in use? Is it attached to EKTKey?

S 5.2.2.
>      Note: To be clear, EKT can be used with versions of DTLS prior to
>      1.3.  The only difference is that in a pre-1.3 TLS stacks will not
>      have built-in support for generating and processing Ack messages.
>
>      If an EKTKey message is received that cannot be processed, then the
>      recipient MUST respond with an appropriate DTLS alert.

How important is it that you (a) be able to change EKTKeys and (b) be
able to work with DTLS < 1.3? Because if the answer to these is "no",
then you can just send EKTKeys in EncryptedExtensions.

S 6.
>      With EKT, each SRTP sender and receiver MUST generate distinct SRTP
>      master keys.  This property avoids any security concern over the re-
>      use of keys, by empowering the SRTP layer to create keys on demand.
>      Note that the inputs of EKT are the same as for SRTP with key-
>      sharing: a single key is provided to protect an entire SRTP session.
>      However, EKT remains secure even when SSRC values collide.

How am I supposed to decrypt in case I don't have a FullEKTField? Am I
supposed to use the IP address.

S 6.
>      context, e.g., from a different sender.  When the underlying SRTP
>      transform provides integrity protection, this attack will just result
>      in packet loss.  If it does not, then it will result in random data
>      being fed to RTP payload processing.  An attacker that is in a
>      position to mount these attacks, however, could achieve the same
>      effects more easily without attacking EKT.

Why don't you add an epoch so that you can't roll back?

COMMENTS
S 4.1.
>        :                                                               :
>        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>        |   Security Parameter Index    | Length                        |
>        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>        |0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0|

This encoding seems suboptimal, in that you burn an extra byte for
every FullEKTField. Given that:

1. You are only defining two types
2. It seems unlikely that there will ever be an EKTCiphertext longer
than 128 bits.

I would suggest the following encoding:

- The first bit of the last byte indicates whether this is
FullEKTField or <Something else.>. If it's FullEKTField, the rest is
used for length. Otherwise, the rest is used for type.