Re: [Perc] Minutes from Design Team call #3

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> Fri, 13 May 2016 17:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 19:27:45 +0200
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
To: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
Cc: Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx>, LuLop <lulop@kurento.com>, perc@ietf.org, "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>, Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Perc] Minutes from Design Team call #3

On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:05:18 -0500
Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> wrote:

> [...]
> issue that wouldn't make a bunch of implementers whine on this list
> every few months.
>
> It is not a big deal for this WG's work. It has a huge impact on the
> adoption of that work though.

> >> Yes you can do that. You can also travel from Paris to London via
> >> Sydney: few people are making that choice though. All SFUs I am
> >> aware of overwrite SSRCs even if the one that you wrote might have
> >> taken a different path.
> >
> > I'm scratching my head on this. ISTM that remapping SSRC is the
> > longer path from Paris to London.
>
> You will understand as soon as you try to implement an SFU that works
> well with WebRTC today.
>
> > I appreciate that you might not have seen all
> > of the products on the market;
>
> I am pretty sure I know about most of the WebRTC compatible ones.
>
> > there certainly are some that do not
> > rewrite SSRCs.
>
> And they, whoever they are, would be just fine if we relaxed the
> requirements on immutable seq nums and SSRCs.
>
> > So, I am curious why you cannot build a system that just
> > leaves the SSRCs alone.
>
> I have already built my system. So have Google and Vidyo and Janus
> and Microsoft and Kurento. We are *all* rewriting sequence numbers
> and SSRCs.

> >> I am stunned!
> >>
> >> Paul, we first had this very conversation five months ago:
> >>
> >> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/perc/current/msg00136.html
> >
> > Yes, I recall the older conversation and, in fact, we had it in our
> > draft to allow the SSRC to change.  However, the decision to not
> > modify the SSRC followed email exchange and the decision has been
> > in place since at least early December.
> >
> >> Numerous implementors commented here. This should have been the
> >> end of it.
> >>
> >> then a bit later I raised it again here:
> >>
> >> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/perc/current/msg00222.html
> >>
> >> Now this.
> >
> > Yes, at the time it was an active topic of discussion.  The
> > decision was made, minutes reported, documents updated, etc.  I
> > think it is the rest of us who were participating in the meetings
> > who should be stunned at this issue being raised again.
>
> I cannot believe you are making that point. Did you at any point see
> any of the concerned implementers come back and say: "Oh right! That
> totally makes sense now! Forget about immutable seq nums and SSRCs,
> we can do with out them. Roll on!"
>
> As a responsible document editor, *that* is what you should be
> looking for. Same for all actively participating WG members.
>
> You know me, you know Lorenzo, you know Bernard I assume you also
> know people from the other companies/orgs implementing simulcast
> through SSRC and seq num rewrites.
>
> Did you see them take part of the discussion? Did you take any steps
> to go and check with them?
>
> "You weren't there to complain then, so get lost now" is a pretty bad
> argument and I certainly didn't expect it from someone with your

That's probably needless to say, but I obviously support Emil, Luis and
other implementors on this. Emil has already voiced my concerns much
better than I would have been able to do, so I won't add to that.

What I'd like to highlight, though, is that I certainly don't recall
such a decision being echoed on the ML, as I would expect in the IETF
typically, especially on an aspect that had seen such controversy. Had
this happened, we definitely would have made our point timely again,
and not 5 months later.

Lorenzo