Re: IAHC archive [was Re: Comments on gTLD-MOU Leadership [was: Bob shaws misrepresentation of Jeff williams's comments]]

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> Thu, 14 May 1998 18:10 UTC

Delivery-Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:17:15 -0400
To: Jay Fenello <Jay@Iperdome.com>
cc: perry@piermont.com, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee@cybercash.com>, IETF ORG <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IAHC archive [was Re: Comments on gTLD-MOU Leadership [was: Bob shaws misrepresentation of Jeff williams's comments]]
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:00:13 -0400
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

Jay Fenello writes:
> The author was referring, however, to the *discovery* that
> Bob was the person responsible for ending GTE's use of the
> alternate roots, after he specifically requested that his
> identity be kept a secret.
>
> Why do you think Bob wanted to keep his identity a secret?

For those who actually care (about .05% of you), Jay is distorting the
following incident: some low level guy at GTE put a couple of GTE's
machines into Eugene's FraudNIC, er, AlterNIC, system. Bob called up
GTE and said "hey, does your management know about this?" to which
their management said "hell no! we didn't approve any such thing, and
we're doing something about it immediately."

Bob did nothing untoward -- not that anyone should give a damn at this
point.

I'm going to stop polluting the IETF list with this now -- Jay is
about the last of the LoonyNIC crowd that isn't in my kill file, and
perhaps I will change that soon.

Perry