[pim] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 27 May 2019 02:15 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang@ietf.org, Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, pim-chairs@ietf.org, stig@venaas.com, pim@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 19:15:04 -0700
Subject: [pim] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang-13: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang/

DISCUSS:

I agree with Mirja that reiterating the privacy considerations of
explicit tracking of group membership (with pointer to the relevant
IGMP/MLD protocol documents) would be worthwhile.
Normally I would leave this as a Comment on the assumption that the
privacy considerations are already documented in the protocol
specification that documents explicit tracking, but I could not find
such a document (with privacy considerations listed) in a quick search;
I found RFC 6636 and draft-ietf-pim-explicit-tracking but probably
missed a few others.

Let's talk about what the current state actually is, and where it's best
to document the privacy considerations (which is not necessarily this
document, a priori).

COMMENT:

nit: s/there is// -- the "are defined in this model" takes care of
the grammatical necessities here.
   and push mechanism defined in [I-D.ietf-netconf-subscribed-
   notifications] and [I-D.ietf-netconf-yang-push] can be used by the
   user to subscribe notifications on the data nodes in this model.

nit: "subscribe to notifications"

   The model contains all basic configuration parameters to operate the
   protocols listed above. Depending on the implementation choices,

nit: "all the basic"

Section 4

     grouping interface-common-config-attributes {
       [...]
       leaf query-interval {
         [...]
         description
           "The Query Interval is the interval between General Queries
            sent by the Querier.In RFC3376, Querier's Query
            Interval(QQI) is represented from the Querier's Query
            Interval Code in query message as follows:

nit: one or two (not zero) spaces after the end of the sentence.
nit: "In RFC3376, the Querier's Query Interval (QQI)"

       leaf exclude-lite {
         if-feature intf-exclude-lite;

side-note: I misparsed this (I think) the first few times I read it,
since "exclude lite" can be taken as an imperative command to not use
the lite version.  But it seems this is really just an ordinary
feature-enablment tag about whether to use the EXCLUDE filtering that
is available in the lite version of the protocol.  I don't know whether
reordering to "lite-exclude" would be a net win or net loss due to
causing some other confusion, though.

     grouping interface-state-attributes-igmp {
       [...]
       list group {
         [...]
         list source {
           [...]
           list host {
	     [...]
             leaf host-address {
               type inet:ipv4-address;
               description
                 "The IPv6 address of the host.";

nit: "ipv6-address"

     grouping interface-state-group-attributes-igmp-mld {

nit: I thought most of the other shared groupings just didn't use a
suffix, as opposed to using the "-igmp-mld" combined suffix.
(Similarly for interface-state-source-attributes-igmp-mld and
interface-state-host-attributes-igmp-mld, which does cause me to wonder
if I'm not perceiving "most" correctly.)

Section 5

   igmp-mld:global

     This subtree specifies the configuration for the IGMP attributes
     at the global level on an IGMP instance.  Modifying the
     configuration can cause IGMP membership deleted or reconstructed
     on all the interfaces of an IGMP instance.

nit: "to be deleted or reconstructed"  (Similarly for the following
paragraphs.)

The description of the considerations for unauthorized read access are
fairly generic and do not specify specific potential harms, but I will
not insist on any changes here.