Re: [pim] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-10: (with COMMENT)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Sat, 25 March 2023 23:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:31:52 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Éric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing@ietf.org, pim-chairs@ietf.org, pim@ietf.org, stig@venaas.com, aretana.ietf@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [pim] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-10: (with COMMENT)

Thanks, Eric

I just uploaded -11 which has resolved John Scudders DISCUSS and intends to answer
all open COMMENTS including yours.

Diff here:

https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url1=https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-10.txt&url2=https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-11.txt&difftype=--html

Wrt. your feedback:

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 06:20:56AM -0700, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker wrote:
> Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-10: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing/

> COMMENT:
>

> # Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-pim-assert-packing-10
> CC @evyncke
>
> Thank you for the work put into this document.
>
> Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
> appreciated even if only for my own education), and one nit.
>
> Special thanks to Stig Venaas for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
> the WG consensus **but** it lacks the justification of the intended status.

I would not know right now which RFC to consult for official critera, but
technically off the top of my head:

- Its an on-the-wire-change, so impacts interoperability

- Asserts are a known issue to limit RFC7761 scale and relaibility/performance under scale/load
  because of duplicate packets, overloads caused by them, loss casusused by them.

- Proposed solution is well simple optimizationn, so no big difficult new concepts that would
  have us go for experimental first.

With anything performance optimization there is of course a good amount that lies
in implementations finding the minimum complexity implementation for the best performance
improvement. Thats not something that can fully be captured, but we tried to do the best
in the spec. Some more example/details are given in reply to John Scudder.

Further replies inline below as expected.

> Regards,
>
> -éric
>
> ## COMMENTS
>
> ### Section 1
>
> `there is typically more than one upstream router` unsure whether it is really
> the common case... Suggest to s/there is typically/Sometimes there is/

I have changed this to be like the first sentence of the Intro, aka: scoped to
LANs where PIM is used. I think "often" is fair because PIM is really used
primarily in professional networks, and those do often use redundant
routers for resiliency against router failure. The mayor case where in
my experience this doesn't mean redundant routers at the PIM layer is when
you have some vendor-specific chassis-redundancy solution instead of an IETF/PIM
standards based redundancy setup. That is why i picked "often" instead of "most often".

> ### Section 2
>
> Should there be references for assertions such as `something not possible
> equally with an L3 subnet based ring`?

Expanded paragraph to be more precise and give examples:

These L3 ring designs are specifically undesirable, when particular L2 technologies are needed.
For example various L2 technologies for rings provide sub 50msec failover
mechanisms that will benefit IP unicast and multicast alike without any
added complexity to the IP layer (forwarding or routing). If such L2 rings where to be replaced
by L3 rings just to avoid PIM asserts, then this would result in the need for
a complex choice of of a sub 50 msec IP unicast failover solutions as well
as a sub 50 msec IP multicast failover solution. The mere fact that by
operating at the IP layer, different solutions for IP unicast and multicast
are required makes them more difficult to operate, they typically require more
expensive hardware and therefore most often, they are not even available
on the target equipment, such as {{RFC7490}} with IP repair tunnels for IP unicast or
{{RFC7431}} for IP multicast.

> ### Section 4.2
>
> *Strongly* suggest to add a reference to section 4.9.1 of RFC 7761 for the
> `encoded-* format` (as my heart missed a beat when seeing a 32-bit field).

Haha. Isn't this a beautify way to hide the bits-on-the-wire overhead of IPv6
from specs ;-)

Added:

The Encoded-Group and Encoded-Unicast address formats are specified in Section 4.9.1 of
{{RFC7761} for IP and IPv6.

> ## NITS
>
> ### Units
>
> s/100msec/100 msec/ and other similar issues.

Fixed.

Thanks!

Toerless