Re: New Liaison Statement, "Liaison to IETF on the resolution of DR320"

"Denis Pinkas" <denis.pinkas@bull.net> Mon, 22 October 2007 15:48 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:55:12 +0200
From: Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net>
To: "ietf-pkix@imc.org" <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: Re: New Liaison Statement, "Liaison to IETF on the resolution of DR320"
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

>Denis,
>
>As you might have seen from some of my old posting on the list,
>I initially believed that there was a true "security flaw" in X.509
>regarding revocation.
>
>Now, my understanding is that the fact there is no name
>collision is an _assumption_ in X.509.

No name collision is simply an invalid assumption.

>If one wants to cope with name collisions there are several
>routes one can take depending on what the "adversary" is and
>the constraint one wants to put on the PKI topology.
>
>1) The first one is simply to assume that it can be detected
>and fixed.

It can't.

>2) One can cope with "accidental" name collision: I believe that is
>the route currently taken by PKIX by mandating trust anchor matching.

Same trust anchor is insufiicient.

>3) Your proposed wording copes with less accidental and more malicious
>attacks.

It addresses the general case.

> I believe this is in the same spirit as Santosh Chokani
>proposal in 2004, (isn't it ?).

No. Santosh was certainly mandating the same trust anchor, but this is not sufficient.
But I let Santosh explains.

> However, it restricts the PKI topology and

It does not.

>I believe it is still open to some exotic attacts (see my posting from
>early November 2004).

I do not recall that you have explained an attack on that scheme.

>4) One can put even more restrictions on the PKI topology by mandating
>that a CA signs the CRL issuer keys with an explicit "CRL issuer" extension
>(similar to OCSP) and that the AuthorityKeyExtension (containing the
>hash of the key) be explicitely checked during the path building.

The AuthorityKeyExtension is not done for this.

>All in all, I believe it is close to impossible to define a general rule
>in the standard because some core assumptions regarding the uniqueness
>of the DNs and the adversarial model may not be the same between
>different PKIs.

It is possible to define a default rule.

Remember:

A DN issued by one CA is unique for that CA, but for that CA only.
Only a chain of DNs may be unique, starting from a trust anchor.

which means, as Russ noticed, that it is not allowed to have two different roots
in a validation policy (or a signature policy) with the same DN.

Denis

Regards,

Denis Pinkas