Re: request for WG to adopt draft-chadwick-webdav-00.txt as a work item

"Denis Pinkas" <denis.pinkas@bull.net> Mon, 10 September 2007 11:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:45:11 +0200
From: Denis Pinkas <denis.pinkas@bull.net>
To: David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
Cc: "ietf-pkix@imc.org" <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: Re: request for WG to adopt draft-chadwick-webdav-00.txt as a work item
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

David,

Thank you for your quick reply.

>> David,
>>
>> I have three major concerns with this draft:
>>
>> 1 - The current proposal is insecure, unless HTTPS is mandated.
>
>There is no such thing as absolute security as you are aware and HTTPS
>does not give absolute security. It does provide more security than HTTP
>but at a greater cost. So the option to use HTTP is there for those RPs
>that are happy with this risk vs cost tradeoff.

If you only use HTTP, it is as if CRLs or certificates were placed in a directory without being signed.
In this context, I cannot "buy" your argument of "There is no such thing as absolute security".

>> 2 - Even, if HTTPS is mandated, the proposal is still insecure
>>      unless the relying parties may securely know which trust anchor
>>     shall be used to verify the certification path of the webdav server.
>>     That information MUST be provided by the CA that has issued the certificate,
>>     and NOT by "other means".
>
>I dont have a problem with adding this statement.

The problem is not adding this requirement, but to say HOW a relying party
will know - without using out of bands means - that it is indeed connected to the right web server.

>> 3 - The text states:
>>
>> “Whilst a certificate might exist, i.e. from its time of first issuing until it validity period finishes,
>>  one of the pages SHOULD exist, although some implementations MAY choose to treat
>>  a revoked certificate the same as a certificate that has never existed”.
>>
>> I would be worthwhile to phrase this differently and move the sentence
>> once the webdavCert accessMethod has been introduced and state:
>>
>> “If only the webdavCert accessMethod is supported, then the scheme is only able
>> to provide real-time revocation status of certificates.  In order to support a non-repudiation service,
>> the webdavRev accessMethod must be supported”.
>
>Fine, I will add this.

I was incorrect when writing the three lines above. I should have said:

“The proposed scheme is only able to provide real-time revocation status of certificates
and thus in unable to support a non-repudiation service".

>> This means that Certificates issuers may choose to support:
>>
>> a)	only the webdavRev accessMethod, or
>> b)	only the webdavCert accessMethod, or
>> c)	both the webdavRev accessMethod and the webdavCert accessMethod.
>>
>> This is not clearly stated in the draft.
>
>I do not think that issuers will want to support a), do you?

I tried to imagine the options of the proposal.
I return the question:  What are the real benefits of option c) versus options b) ?

>> In addition, I have the following concerns:

>> 4 - The text states:

>> “When a certificate exists, it has a unique web page (the certificate URL) at which it MUST be found”.

>This is because I never considered your proposed option a) above.  I
>would prefer not to go down this route unless a good argument can be
>made for your option a)

The key question is which options are desirable .

>> I would be worthwhile to phrase this differently and move the sentence
>> once the webdavCert accessMethod has been introduced and state:

>> “If the webdavCert accessMethod is supported, then when a certificate exists,
>> it has a unique web page (the certificate URL) at which the revocation list (of length one)
>> MUST be found”.

>> This means that the following sentence is not appropriate:

>> "When a certificate is revoked, it has a unique web page (revocation URL)
>> at which the revocation list (of length one) SHOULD be found".

>> 5 - The text states:

>> “Optionally the revocation page MAY exist after the validity period of a certificate has expired”.

>> Using RFC 3280, there is no way to know for a relying party (unless out of bands mechanisms
>> are being used), if the CA has chosen to do so or not, so such a feature would be unusable.
>> In addition, there is no need to maintain such information once a certificate has expired.

>I seem to remember that it was you who wanted this feature so that an RP
>could determine after the fact whether a cert had been revoked or not.
>Out of bound mechanisms are OK anyway, since you have already suggested
>one ie. that the CA tells the RP which trust anchor to use for the SSL
>service.

The idea is different, the information MUST be captured, when available.
Anyway, this method is only usable for real-time authentication and keeping it
would simply be useless.

>> 6 – In the security considerations section, the text states:

>> “Consequently, if the certificates are not meant to be publicly available or stronger security
>> is required, then secure access should be provided using HTTP with TLS".

>> The use of HTTPS has nothing to do with “publicly available” certificates.

>It is related in this way. If HTTPS with client side (mutual) authn is
>used, then the server can use the DN of the client to provide an authz
>service. With http only public access can be provided.

I know understand, but the sentence should be rephrased.

Considering the question to adopt or not this proposal as a PKIX work item,
for the time being, I am not in favor for the following reasons:

- when using the webdavCert accessMethod, the proposal is insecure
   since HTTPs is still not mandated,

- when using the webdavCert accessMethod the proposal is insecure
  since the trust anchor to be used to verify the information provided by the web server is undefined,

- the proposal is limited to support real-time revocation status of certificates,
   i.e. it cannot support a non-repudiation service,

- CRLs may be fetched using HTTP, so the argument against LDAP becomes moot.

The idea of having a CRL of length one is original, but CRL splitting is another way to avoid long CRLs.

Denis

Regards,

Denis Pinkas