Re: request for WG to adopt draft-chadwick-webdav-00.txt as a work item

David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk> Thu, 06 September 2007 20:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:11:46 +0100
From: David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
CC: Stefan Santesson <stefans@microsoft.com>, "ietf-pkix@imc.org" <ietf-pkix@imc.org>
Subject: Re: request for WG to adopt draft-chadwick-webdav-00.txt as a work item
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Hi George

thankyou for raising the topic on the list (others have only privately
engaged with me).

The current draft does have multiple parts to it, which could be easily
separated into separate IDs.

i)the REST principles and definition of the AIA for the cert and CRL
states/URL locations

ii)the format of the directory structure in the repository (from the
DN). As you noted, my proposal is only one of many ways of standardising
this, and it isnt needed at all if push mode is used.

iii) protocols for picking up the state information. One could use
various different protocols for this, as well as webdav.

Stefan is only partly correct in saying that revocation trust has moved
from signed objects to the repository.  It is true that an attacker
could make a revoked cert appear to be not revoked by attacking the
repository and re-installing a valid cert. But this would soon be
discovered by the issuer and fixed probably in less time than the period
between CRL issuances. Further, an attacker could not make a valid cert
appear to be revoked because it cannot manufacture a genuine CRL that is
needed at the CRL URL. An attacker could make it appear that the cert
that you are holding was never actually issued by attacking the
repository and removing the cert from the cert URL. But this is no
different to a DOS attack which both CRLs and OCSP are susceptible to
and is considerably more difficult to engineer. Again, the issuer should
be able to easily detect this. Signed objects are still
essential to prove you have a certificate, in that if rubbish is posted
at the cert URL, it would never be accepted, so it has to be a genuine
signed certificate that is there.  Consequently an attacker could never
manufacture a false credential without breaking the asymmetric
encryption algorithm, in which case all of PKI is dead anyway.

I am happy to revise the ID when we have an agreement on what changes
should be made, and split it into several if required.

We now have a fully working system using http (not SSL
yet), implemented by a student, and the performance is impressive. Its
also much easier to install than LDAP for example.

regards

David

George Michaelson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:56:34 +0100
> Stefan Santesson <stefans@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> A few answers and comments:
>>
>>> I don't see
>>> aggressive use of the various existing CRL/OCSP check methods.
>> We must have vastly different experience then. I see a very large
>> deployment of PKI based on CRL and OCSP. However large amounts of
>> certs are deployed where they are not very visible, for example to
>> enable VPN or wireless networks. Public PKIs are still not very
>> spread with exception of web-server certificates.
>
> right. I see webdave (that was a slip, which I will leave in for its
> humour value in context) addressing the public space.
>
> I do not claim OCSP, CRLs are not used. I will believe you that  in
> private contexts they get good deployment. I am also sure that very few
> people in browserland consciously engage with CRLs or OCSP services, and
> routinely click through warning boxes about server certificate name
> mismatches, expiry, or lack of TA material behind the cert being
> offered.
>

>> It is my experience that OCSP and CRLs works very well in the vast
>> majority of cases I see.
>
> That's good to know. Because the SIDR WG is about testing assertions
> about the totality of the information in the repository, OCSP was not
> high on my radar. access to CRLs, and efficient access to repositories
> is, and web or webdav, in allowing mechanisms like cache time controls,
> virtual hosting and streams of data, looked like a good longterm fit.
>
>>> I do think that webdav, being more generally deployed and useful,
>>> may be enabling technology for certificate use.
>> More specifically, what blocking factor for PKI deployment do you
>> think would go away with this solution?
>
> public acceptance of the management side costs of maintaining
> repositories. I regard the methods embedded in my current open source
> systems as wildly ad-hoc. Since webdav is a given for the webserver
> which is the public face of the certificate processes, making webdav be
> used to publish and maintain the repository would be trivial. YMMV
>
>> Webdav does not have the greatest security story and here we are
>> depending on that technology to provide reliable trustworthy
>> information. I would like to see someone being expert on this
>> technology vouching for its security properties.
>
> That is also fair. It will be abundantly clear to the rest of the list
> I am a consumer of certificate expertise, not an originator. I felt
> that webdav over HTTP/TLS was adequately secure. If I am wrong, that
> would of course change my feelings. But only in respect of the CRL/OCSP
> side for relying parties. I am still interested in its use as a
> provisioning method, where you own the link to the repository from the
> certificate engine.
>
>>> um. I'm not sure I understand the difference. In practice, where
>>> does an OCSP server get its information about certificate
>>> revokation, if not from its own trust in a repository
> [...]

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Skype Name: davidwchadwick
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184