RE: Last Call summary for draft-ietf-pkix-cert-utf8

"Santosh Chokhani" <chokhani@orionsec.com> Thu, 13 April 2006 16:34 UTC

Subject: RE: Last Call summary for draft-ietf-pkix-cert-utf8
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:43:59 -0700
From: Santosh Chokhani <chokhani@orionsec.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, ietf-pkix@imc.org
Cc: iesg@ietf.org
Sender: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org

Russ,

Looks good to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org [mailto:owner-ietf-pkix@mail.imc.org]
On Behalf Of Russ Housley
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:33 AM
To: ietf-pkix@imc.org
Cc: iesg@ietf.org

I suggest the following.  I think it adds the concept of "similar
looking."

    When strings are mapped from internal representations to visual
representations,
    sometimes two different strings will have the same or similar
visual representations.
    This can happen for many different reasons, including use of
similar glyphs and
    multiple items being combined into a single glyph.  As a result
of this situation,
    people doing visual comparisons between two different names may
think they are
    the same when in fact they are not.  Also, people may mistake one
string for
    another.  Issuers of certificates and relying parties both need
to be aware of
    this situation.

This does not impose any untestable requirements.  Any concerns with
this text?

Russ