[Plants] Re: Call for adoption: draft-gray-plants-mtc-deploy-use-cases-01 (Ends 2026-10-02)

"nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com" <nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com> Wed, 23 September 2026 15:19 UTC

Received: from sonic306-27.consmr.mail.ne1.yahoo.com (sonic306-27.consmr.mail.ne1.yahoo.com [66.163.189.89]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange x25519 server-signature ECDSA (prime256v1) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mx.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 187CE3F for <plants@ietf.org>; Wed, 23 Sep 2026 15:19:35 +0000 (UTC)
Authentication-Results: mx.ietf.org; dkim=pass header.d=yahoo.com header.s=s2048 header.b=YMG4mBNI; dmarc=none; spf=none (mx.ietf.org: domain of nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com has no SPF policy when checking 66.163.189.89) smtp.mailfrom=nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1790176767; bh=qis2wYIOVuQ40FeecqtSuZVnqwQ/WXQm94wKf/nhk8E=; h=Date:From:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject:Reply-To; b=YMG4mBNIkWJATL2Z1gmmJOLLlHXXW2DHe752V9+ZP3+kTJNboKFPyp8cSvz+58B2N+t+suJDyIZM4B1DOQJJlS0jS4g9AmRtS2U6wtPEEpBkrZ6DnNpgp1+T8MdRZ4zIKBZSMto/KpJ3aNVqxYTZBJQyEW80fynJyOVRexalubzO9/g03jJhnpgIMDb7Lm/X3VV3yvdlGdeBy2DMTQAsQ89D7pAke7ya6/Dm8WBmuLLJ4too1Ip36JRmS2DAgKsK9+sP5nI8LNe8NBGGB1YWF5NqEXzucCIIdr0vuohrhCSNFLdgSN8aiWDUxd1SQ8KUl1lbJYOqiPBceXC4oKFKuQ==
X-SONIC-DKIM-SIGN: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1790176767; bh=5GnVFU+CTsd40jL4Uhrvj53GU0a5quQvkldsJG5TF+H=; h=X-Sonic-MF:Date:From:To:Subject:From:Subject; b=j+s3ksBfyORJPtSJgmKXWPaFeyAnmHOg2xND9yNr320NVmec0QK59t5ViiF33Nh2lO3jwRUAESbfZ1X8FYuscpCU+tcgEwHncIyjWEVa20JfHjL8DR11SvnEqsLACfq13zZ0NiEq+ocpL31T3cifEvVFca4s3GSoV0kH2/yvfkhB8Hh3JW8PdIRwhNSCC9w3uVdu72dD51DCZvfkNwZFT9LK2Oy02TflfXcKJhlBWOvSBv7CCF1h1PPYM6QStN4u5r3Wa1GBeIH8dIL7nBYqmKtdcpfI1CzE0ycgCRrOFVuMMq2rncae/ONqqxMou6jmwQW8Pux72dyNxfw2D6tgqA==
X-YMail-OSG: KBiWNnMVM1nwfL0MeqN2BQys3PJeQGnoSlaUA9Urb9kbAQ.VxwwajVmKrIqzOnx pP7RsQYItnEFjTFkSRgTc6oguqTsL27gtWaEwcM4UZRyGcIL4VluogEZcnXmJsYeW9z6SU_Tfr4e b4GC1Cm_ExJhO6g7gp0lU47xsqAW0V2b8kfxGa2q7X0BjgXybvhCmdxR0yMY0EERsw1XIB4.1BEq GCaJcvrVLgrG8UkH5B_MdzyR.8X.gYHrZzaI8RdMnYH_Yl3VAHavmpHP9CFxWJxqW_qpfGv0UEXU .48EEFKVNCMYRSTRH9lk.LUpCwjwCnBPazjd5dof7b.jl5_Gy0SPhzmBhX.XRH_yY05vMCfXPVFN _l_nX1O3SRNygur77eJe51ilRPD4B3XZr5X5S41vHslEIn8qud6HBABSM23VLQ3yQU7jjB1IRP.m rfJeKf_dBxm6H8_lsof9JN9fBPjkp190HEkgyeASo9TDCmsH75WT73cExw4CWE.b4sojAm6zQBzl ._vr7EGYYMK0ctqtzwauq4gYeHdma.zjfK21FNER4WB7vWgOAt3mi49vhY4dGn6puCki9sDvEDF0 ge3ovs3IzYMPrbt.wIxgqeWSh4tsXUg5F8Ax3VExRkAmSuFRt79HGtzFSP94rnptAUDJddFDYPjM eAF9eQ3x9YCaiE8HmBv_ZovUJ1IcJUuzo.LYpQDTfyYf5VBuT2tbVIqb7BYFRRsD9ekqJjK04IxZ tMehOJQmaWqAMNP1yP6kVVu7U5zrKR0l0ZowwkPmmmv7vYa64_LLyiBnqURmGYZUygevZ0PQR8pz kVwbmdaW0UtjcQSMoAKwDrl3.WpQUWywW3D_AWRDbbFbhJpZoVAqsKc8nUsa7EVYW0_XF.VeyBz4 3fdJDvLNtNvUiX78ccptXO0s94Nsoj9yec.4FDgTsE8nWpD7C18ewGTrKXNfyqn5nEz.DSe6eU1M zKv4jFGauGr4WjmddD0DLes77.PtNYaCr2tDt0235pCi.t5evMLr2EeAvqIXyW85sc.P71T_mGbZ W54SMvTENW8cwOe06zwpYdC7tTExBhZAC9XnjAHAOesXTlNW5vVy8GCC0JKCeFF9VJLsVWcuOhXi 1umE07V41RZN41UTlqOCMWFCiJAuOLQZ44XTcJFznazku.ZHPKU9o3elcRYnOMECaKPvw0_WqoiN xHTgTQJA7cU1u7jrsuKYflmZUjVVE.e7YTOz19zxLZvGVOTXjx4kW68J4vnbYKmfOnOuTUBQkkPL nWNYLj0t1kNyeuxT3rKYBsHXougfGrqtxNWwBuHgbV7fcTsJk0enVBu4lQDC_x7uYYWAmYvEj_fZ 88XAZ87BKxi2SANpvJ8SV_PSgqzIJM5pUyvwmv.iV2eaEQHdzHLabNpXKktBzKqywe5yVQnfcnLN E0cCC9yLJFSJUvrxDwzQvOYCciC7trtLC1BVT2d7TCph6DFSB8EdNdF7V8BHg6ymZeHsRCwN9Sfp HB6.TCPqIg9Un1IAJ7TfH.5vc0AhZb7nZNyB_Qj.MqwwCth_sGpTBrdhEoIDS1_pGpU1hBQOWBTV zFfxi9uPDCGhveScS.Jc9dVVtTX0lavaXkHeXNzeToU8OQ8g2mOhfpBSQnoBvmjmi9hHii2.X9o0 8uzNSPCEUV8lgRGDYG3LYUG3ybdxcTtwUAahckMuURxYnKg5qSp_PkP.Kk9NBefRKP4A2lkDzLrM unai8lpsqek5YGeABE19Ssu4JGTeRtpxqIPGh7qUxpX0p4FO9fsiM.W5iG.J_W5QmC2WQ2mbdWSp Ndqts1V2_R9_FJVqtb4Sqt1zY_LevJGQ.OorVjqFhIY2eTaLATIu2wPExqBY8vz19eCPMpgvAX7o zQq1qlw.J9EvN94YcnvPZGc6QAk534u.Y.piGdNgjMYJbI4alxqB9O3zb7QunOmTb8cWDIAMfSHl Ge8jF5zTBKmyfi_9chpxN9H6QlAvh_7tSkFISpfErQVKaNLrbhipx250lma2iXyrY6.A1FFuWw5t XF7vNNgMSC.pTCLXBFaUjQhdB.kvPg9C5AgIX8JBVhh6VBUj764W4vinN5s6FxHbFKimFeYQlNaT LDqaWuGZjhjttGDcSwnzcmDMESNjVNqvMVQTeumIaWxfTxfZSPskoQa6sM1QQvwYW_coNlkckvRl EBFeADYiv1kMI_nUJOao4lgbSCnPeap0nG_8W1HgbJPDxKq7tJ8PUgX_yIfQcn8E1JW.aB3Nhrvs a9awzPuvvw9538I.Rh_o.7giZHy_WSYCG0np67hB8urDZz8qTXcHepqyUOfD3zEgfRiFJOgDjLra FXkW3NalfMqT3J9_y_5G305hfSj7sXgCcsHRKen9JQ5QqBOPrfWp3AewQlZt2M_TVKRM_Ew0TWiN 99Xy7RAqZx48D7nWt
X-Sonic-MF: <nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com>
X-Sonic-ID: 17609b4f-4a17-436d-af96-c9abe40ed9e1
Received: from sonic.gate.mail.ne1.yahoo.com by sonic306.consmr.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with HTTP; Wed, 23 Sep 2026 15:19:27 +0000
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2026 15:19:25 +0000
From: "nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com" <nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, "plants@ietf.org" <plants@ietf.org>, "Kampanakis, Panos" <kpanos=40amazon.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Message-ID: <1227077148.83395.1790176765549@mail.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To: <BYAPR18MB26489801E5BCCA50C6BB5399AB822@BYAPR18MB2648.namprd18.prod.outlook.com>
References: <178971920474.941.4997359249401869579@dt-datatracker-fffdbdc97-z7cq6> <BYAPR18MB264892BAEF0509EBBF289F7BAB862@BYAPR18MB2648.namprd18.prod.outlook.com> <29275.1789844331@obiwan.sandelman.ca> <BYAPR18MB26489801E5BCCA50C6BB5399AB822@BYAPR18MB2648.namprd18.prod.outlook.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_Part_83394_436744592.1790176765547"
X-Mailer: WebService/1.1.26577 YMailNovation
X-Spam-Level: *
X-Spamd-Bar: +
Message-ID-Hash: 7Z7PZ4YKOSUN25V2F3RFVEHDHKEHLEXN
X-Message-ID-Hash: 7Z7PZ4YKOSUN25V2F3RFVEHDHKEHLEXN
X-MailFrom: nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; loop; banned-address; emergency; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.10
Precedence: list
Subject: [Plants] Re: Call for adoption: draft-gray-plants-mtc-deploy-use-cases-01 (Ends 2026-10-02)
List-Id: "PKI, Logs, And Tree Signatures" <plants.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/plants/PlMJDd7GKsX6tNQtTMkn-D9B_mM>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/plants>
List-Help: <mailto:plants-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:plants-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:plants@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:plants-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:plants-leave@ietf.org>

> I am growing in the opinion that MTC is probably wrong for many private PKIs, including specifically IDevID ones.  I think it important that we set the scope sensibly.
I agree that MTC is potentially wrong for many private PKIs (actually, IMHO public PKIs also!).    Maybe we need a "Standalone ML-xxx Certificate Use Cases" document.   Let me think about if I have time to do this by San Francisco.  
Thanks,
Chief Technology OfficerOutside the Stacks, Inc.https://www.outsidethestacks.com

Chief Operating OfficerIndustry Network Technology Councilhttps://www.industrynetcouncil.org 

    On Wednesday, September 23, 2026 at 07:21:18 AM PDT, Kampanakis, Panos <kpanos=40amazon.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:  
 
 Hi Michael,

> okay, I agree: but adoption != publication, and late adoption hurts WG process in my opinion.
> Adopting the document is a sign that this problem is important to the WG, not that you agree with the solution.

I don't know. What if I wrote a draft on how to use SLH-DSA in WebPKI in LAMPS? Should it be adopted on the premise that SLH-DSA could somehow, some day, find a use in WebPKI? If MTC or CT does not have a compelling benefit for Private PKI, or Code-Signing PKI, or constrained usecases and their operational reality, I don't think it should be adopted. I would like to see these compelling reasons before it makes sense to adopt, in my opinion. For now, they seem to be the cert transparency and auditability benefit which was already there with CT but these ecosystems did not pursue it, the batching benefit which is generally marginal in the grand scheme of things, and the size benefit.


-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> 
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2026 2:59 PM
To: Kampanakis, Panos <kpanos=40amazon.com@dmarc.ietf.org>; plants@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [Plants] Re: Call for adoption: draft-gray-plants-mtc-deploy-use-cases-01 (Ends 2026-10-02)


Kampanakis, Panos <kpanos=40amazon.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
    > I am against the adoption of this doc in its current state. Some reasons below.

    > The document is trying to do too much in my opinion. To me, it reads
    > like a set of brainstorming thoughts regarding MTC, operational
    > considerations and theoretical non WebPKI use-cases, but it does not
    > achieve what it says in the abstract which is to clearly explain how
    > MTC would be used in no WebPKI use-cases and how.

okay, I agree: but adoption != publication, and late adoption hurts WG process in my opinion.
Adopting the document is a sign that this problem is important to the WG, not that you agree with the solution.

    > The MTC landmark distribution mechanisms (section 3.1) could have value
    > as a separate document for how Landmarks will be distributed
    > operationally in any system, WebPKI or elsewhere.

I am growing in the opinion that MTC is probably wrong for many private PKIs,
including specifically IDevID ones.  I think it important that we set the
scope sensibly.

    > On the use-case front...

I agree with you strongly, and that's why I want to adopt a work item around this.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>  . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
          Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

**      My working hours and your working hours may be different.        **
** Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours **




_______________________________________________
Plants mailing list -- plants@ietf.org
To unsubscribe send an email to plants-leave@ietf.org