Re: [plasma] [abfab] FW: New Non-WG Mailing List: plasma -- The PoLicy Augmented S/Mime (plasma) bof discussion list

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Fri, 04 February 2011 22:36 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: abfab@ietf.org, plasma@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 15:00:18 -0800

I would like to add a few additional things to this as well.

We are currently looking at a proposal that is based on WS-Trust (SOAP based
token system) for communications between the mail client and the mail policy
server and, while using SAML, are placing how the SAML assertion(s) are
obtained is out of scope.   However I think that a good alternative to this
might be to look at using the ABFAB architecture.  We would then have the
mail client talking some protocol to the mail policy server which would be
using the ABFAB architecture to talk AAA to the correct identity service.
In some cases the identity service and the mail policy server would be
co-located, but this would be invisible to the mail client.

Doing this would simplify things as the correct SAML assertion would be
obtained by the policy server and it can ask for the type of details that it
wants without the client having to try and guess what is required.  On the
other hand it might complicate issues as we are looking at the ability for
the mail policy service to issue "short-term" tokens to the mail client
after having gone through a full policy check that stands in for abilities.
Thus not all of the ABFAB EAP would be used all of the time.

If you have an interest in talking about this, it would be better to join
the PLASMA mailing list and respond there.

Jim