Re: [PMOL] FW: [IPPM] FWD: LIAISON STATEMENT FROM THE BROADBAND FORUM

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Thu, 20 September 2012 11:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:54:32 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Cc: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>, pmol@ietf.org, Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [PMOL] FW: [IPPM] FWD: LIAISON STATEMENT FROM THE BROADBAND FORUM

Hi,

[copying Wes Eddy, Transport A.D., responsible for IPPM]

This is what I can read in the liaison statement:

    This project will address the following topics.

    1.Specification of the test architecture

    2.A set of definitions to enable standard performance testing and
    reporting which includes:

    a.The Network Segment(s) being tested

    b.Tests and methodologies appropriate for each segment

    c.Test methods including test controller and test end-point requirements

    3.Recommended testing intervals for performance characterization and
    summarization purposes.

    4.Support of tests that span multiple operator networks.

    5.A standard method for quantifying and comparing access services.

    6.A common language for effective communication of service
    attributes between service providers and the customer.

    7.Templates for application providers on the network performance
    requirements.

    The BBF welcomes input and contributions on this project from
    partnering SDO's, and will keep you informed of progress on the
    Working Text.

My initial reaction, in no particular order:
- test architecture:
     active or passive?
     if active, does BBF plan on reusing TWAMP, OWAMP?
     if passive, does BBF plan on defining the architecture on its own?
- a set of definitions: it would be ideal to have performance metrics
specified according to our BCP RFC 6390
- "support of tests than span multiple operator networks". Protocol
extensions to what we have in the IETF (as mentioned by Al already)?
- basically, which IETF building blocks could BBF reuse? And which
one(s) do they plan on reusing?
     Example: IPPM OWAMP and TWAMP, IPPM spatial and temporal
aggregation, PMOL way of specifying metric, etc...
- we should separate what's generic (architecture and perf. metrics
definition) from what's specific to an environment ("Recommended testing
intervals for performance characterization and summarization purposes.",
"A standard method for quantifying and comparing access services.",
"Templates for application providers on the network performance
requirements.")

Thoughts?

How should we draft the response?

Regards, Benoit.