DT members say "no"

Craig Partridge <craig@aland.bbn.com> Wed, 02 December 1992 18:18 UTC

To: Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com>
Cc: poised@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: DT members say "no"
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Craig Partridge <craig@aland.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 10:17:15 -0800

> I think that the discomfort is not about the fact that Marshall, Keith,
> Jeff and Steve went off and wrote something up. The discomfort that I
> have noticed centers on the fact that after their work was published,
> when the W.G. review started, some members of the community came up with
> changes that they would like, extensions, etc, etc. The original authors
> have argued against some of these changes on technical grounds. The argument
> is an endless loop of the form:
>	1. J-Random Member says "add foo"
>	2. J-Random Original Author says "No -- foo is a bad idea because..."
>	3. Go to step 1.

Frank:

There's a simple solution to this problem.  Careful discussion followed by
humming/show of hands/whatever, at the WG meeting.  If the change is hummed
in after detailed debate, then that's it.  If the problem is that the DT
folks have good arguments against, such that no changes get hummed in,
well, good show for the careful work by DT, no?

Craig