[Policy] Re: FW: [Diffserv] Informal WG last call for draft-ietf-diffserv-new-terms-06.txt

Dan Grossman <dan@dma.isg.mot.com> Wed, 14 November 2001 22:41 UTC

To: Andrea Westerinen <andreaw@cisco.com>
cc: "Diffserv@Ietf. Org" <diffserv@ietf.org>, "Policy@Ietf. Org" <policy@ietf.org>, "Bert Wijnen (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:22:08 -0500
From: Dan Grossman <dan@dma.isg.mot.com>
Subject: [Policy] Re: FW: [Diffserv] Informal WG last call for draft-ietf-diffserv-new-terms-06.txt
Sender: policy-admin@ietf.org

> Pulling everything up here.  It looks like #4 needs a bit more discussion -
> however, it is not a major issue for me.

<snip>
> 4. Service provisioning policy "defines and manages to parameters and range
> of values" in an SLS.  Dan asked how rules can manage to parameters and
> ranges.
> 	- This really depends on your rules.  For static "preconfiguration" rules,
> then all that you are doing is defining what you want, and making it so.  In
> the more general case of provisioning rules, you might have
> "preconfiguration" rules, and other "runtime" rules that are invoked "if
> <something happens>."  If/when something happens, then the actions of the
> other rules might manipulate the environment to maintain (ie, "manage to")
> the parameters and ranges, or switch to new parameters, or ignore
> parameters/ranges, etc.  I was asking about whether we should generalize
> what a "provisioning rule" might do.

Wow!  I'm struggling with the implications of that.  I'd assumed that to the
extent that an SLS had dynamic ("runtime") elements, the new parameter/value
tuples would be within the constraints of the same rules as the old SLS (that
is, the rules are simple, static and non-dependent).

In any event, this seems like  a difficult construct to explain (both as
sentence structure and as a concept).  If we were to put something like this
in, it would need some explanation.  Otherwise, I'll be bombarded with the
same newbie questions about this sentence until I'm 80.  Is this important
enough to provide more text around?

Dan