POP3 behavior on broken tcp connection

John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu> Tue, 24 May 1994 15:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 11:40:59 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu>
Subject: POP3 behavior on broken tcp connection
Beak: is Not

Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us> writes:
> I think that if the TCP connection breaks before a QUIT is received,
> that the session doesn't enter the UPDATE state and that deleted
> messages are not purged.

The following sentence in the various drafts could be interpreted to
say a session enters the UPDATE state upon a broken TCP connection:

   When the client has
   finished its transactions, the session enters the UPDATE state.

--
_.John G. Myers		Internet: jgm+@CMU.EDU
			LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up