Re: [ppsp] An early AD review of draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement-10.txt

Zongning <zongning@huawei.com> Mon, 24 September 2012 10:55 UTC

From: Zongning <zongning@huawei.com>
To: Martin Stiemerling <martin.stiemerling@neclab.eu>, "ppsp@ietf.org" <ppsp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 10:54:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.38]
Subject: Re: [ppsp] An early AD review of draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement-10.txt

Hi, Martin,

Thank you very much for your review. Please see my initial response in Section 6 (requirements).

[Ning] I will add reference in next revision.

> Section 6.1., paragraph 0:
>
>   6.1. Basic Requirements
>
>    Many of the requirements listed here are not basic requirements
>    but already very specific requirements that belong in other
>    sections. E.g., the peer ID belongs IMHO into the peer section.
>

> Section 6.1., paragraph 1:
>
>  >    PPSP.REQ-1: The tracker and the peer protocol SHOULD allow peers to
>  >    receive streaming content within the required time constraints.
>
>    This not a protocol requirement, as it is not specifying something
>    we can qualify later on.

[Ning] There was discuss about if we should include requirements not only to protocols, but also to P2P streaming system. The previous consensus was yes. But anyway I can add clarification later on.

> Section 6.1., paragraph 7:
>
>  >    A key characteristic of P2P streaming system is allowing the data
>  >    fetching from different peers concurrently. Therefore, the whole
>  >    streaming content must allow to be partitioned into small pieces or
>  >    chunks for transmission between peers.
>
>    This seems to be more a prerequisite instead of a protocol
>    requirement.

[Ning] Same as above item. I can add clarification.

> Section 6.1., paragraph 10:
>
>  >    PPSP.REQ-6: The tracker protocol and peer protocol are recommended
>  >    be carried over TCP or UDP.
>
>    No 'MUST' or 'SHOULD' like the other requirements? Why is there
>    only a single requirements for both protocols, i.e., for the peer
>    protocol and the tracker protocol? Shouldn't this at least be 2
>    separated requirements?

[Ning] I will separate it to two requirements.

> Section 6.1., paragraph 11:
>
>  >    PPSP.REQ-7: The tracker and peer protocol together MUST facilitate
>  >    acceptable QoS (e.g. low startup delay, low channel/content switching
>  >    time and minimal end-to-end delay) for both live and VoD streaming
>  >    even for very popular content. The tracker and peer protocol do not
>  >    include the algorithm required for scalable streaming. However, the
>  >    tracker and peer protocol SHALL NOT restrict or place limits on any
>  >    such algorithm.
>
>    This requirement is at least listing 2 requirements. Something about
>    QoS and the limits of the algorithm. QoS is again hard to qualify
>    and if you want to say something about this, I would suggest to
>    not make a requirement, but to add explanatory text about this,
>    like you have below this.

[Ning] Again I think this belongs to P2P system requirements. I will add some clarification.

> Section 6.2., paragraph 3:
>
>  >    PPSP.TP.REQ-2: The peer MUST implement the tracker protocol for
>  >    sending queries and periodical peer status reports/updates to the
>  >    tracker and receiving the corresponding replies.
>
>    How about instead of 'The peer' 'A PPSP peer'? This seems to be
>    not a requirement for the tracker (i.e., wrong section), but a
>    requirement for a peer.

[Ning] This is requirement on the protocol between peer and tracker, which include both peer and tracker (nodes). I can try to re-phrase the sentence to make it more clear.

> Section 6.2., paragraph 9:
>
>  >    PPSP.TP.REQ-7: The chunk availability information of the peer SHOULD
>  >    be reported to tracker when tracker needs such information to steer
>  >    peer selection. The chunk information MUST at least contain the
>  >    chunk ID.
>
>    This requirement is misleading, as it does not exactly state what
>    the requirement for the tracker protocol is. It could read that
>    the tracker protocol should support the reporting of about chunk
>    availability.

[Ning] Agree. Will fix it later.

> Section 6.2., paragraph 10:
>
>  >    PPSP.TP.REQ-8: The chunk availability information between peer and
>  >    tracker MUST be expressed as compact as possible.
>
>    What is as compact as possible? A 10th of the original size? This
>    is not a good requirement.

[Ning] Agree. Will fix it later.